Gujarat Congress comes up with revival plans after two-day meet
Ahmedabad: After a two-day introspection meet to discuss reasons behind the party`s debacle in the recently held Lok Sabha polls, the Gujarat unit of Congress came up with recommendations today to revive the party in the state.
Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee (GPCC) president Arjun Modhwadia announced that after the meet, the party has come up with several suggestions to strengthen the party`s organisational structure in the state.
"The party`s organisational structure will be kept short, effective, accountable and as per constitutional provisions of the Congress," a recommendation statement read.
At the micro-level, the party has decided to expedite formation of various cells and departments at the taluka level and it has been recommended to hold monthly meetings of each unit of the party`s organisational structure.
The party has decided to start their full-time offices at taluka and district level within the next three months. The Congress, which has been facing internal fights, has decided to form a disciplinary committee which would take punitive action against those breaching party discipline.
As per recommendations, regional units would be given more autonomy to select candidates for Assembly and Lok Sabha elections.
The party would also provide compulsory training to new members, while a "special training course" for permanent members has been suggested.
After facing a defeat never seen before, the party unit in Gujarat plans to voice people`s problems and raise questions about law and order in the state as well as reach out to people using social media and other tools.
The two-day meet was attended by senior Congress party leaders, Congress MLAs, candidates who contested Lok Sabha elections, district and city presidents, along with other key party leaders. The Gujarat Congress will convey the recommendations to its Delhi leadership for sanction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre