Gujarat: Congress denies ticket to Narhari Amin
Ahmedabad: Former Deputy Chief Minister of Gujarat Narhari Amin, who was denied nomination by Congress for coming assembly polls, has asked his supporters to resign from their posts in the party and in the local bodies.
Amin`s supporters submitted their resignations to Gujarat Congress chief Arjun Modhwadia today. Those who resigned included city Congress chief Pankaj Shah and 18 municipal councillors, 40 ward presidents, and others.
Amin, an influential Patel community leader with a sizable following, had sought ticket from Gandhinagar South but the party stuck to its policy that it would not give nomination to those who have lost two elections.
"I have told the party leadership that I will not campaign for any Congress candidate," he told his supporters at a meeting, adding he will decide the future course of action after consulting all his followers.
Congress`s campaign committee chairman Shankarsinh Vaghela said "the criteria for tickets was very strict. Even Amin knew this when the party leaders sat down for deciding who to give tickets. He might be sad but he won`t leave the party."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore