Gujarat: Congress denies ticket to Narhari Amin
Ahmedabad: Former Deputy Chief Minister of Gujarat Narhari Amin, who was denied nomination by Congress for coming assembly polls, has asked his supporters to resign from their posts in the party and in the local bodies.
Amin`s supporters submitted their resignations to Gujarat Congress chief Arjun Modhwadia today. Those who resigned included city Congress chief Pankaj Shah and 18 municipal councillors, 40 ward presidents, and others.
Amin, an influential Patel community leader with a sizable following, had sought ticket from Gandhinagar South but the party stuck to its policy that it would not give nomination to those who have lost two elections.
"I have told the party leadership that I will not campaign for any Congress candidate," he told his supporters at a meeting, adding he will decide the future course of action after consulting all his followers.
Congress`s campaign committee chairman Shankarsinh Vaghela said "the criteria for tickets was very strict. Even Amin knew this when the party leaders sat down for deciding who to give tickets. He might be sad but he won`t leave the party."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Watch: Benedict Cumberbatch's 'Sherlock: Series 4' teaser will leave you on the edge!
- Know why some male frogs prefer having sex on land
- Monsoon to push GDP growth to over 8% this fiscal: Panagariya
- Know more about 5000-year-old Shiva Linga
- BlackBerry announces DTEK50 smartphone with Android 6.0 Marshmallow