Gujarat: Congress denies ticket to Narhari Amin
Ahmedabad: Former Deputy Chief Minister of Gujarat Narhari Amin, who was denied nomination by Congress for coming assembly polls, has asked his supporters to resign from their posts in the party and in the local bodies.
Amin`s supporters submitted their resignations to Gujarat Congress chief Arjun Modhwadia today. Those who resigned included city Congress chief Pankaj Shah and 18 municipal councillors, 40 ward presidents, and others.
Amin, an influential Patel community leader with a sizable following, had sought ticket from Gandhinagar South but the party stuck to its policy that it would not give nomination to those who have lost two elections.
"I have told the party leadership that I will not campaign for any Congress candidate," he told his supporters at a meeting, adding he will decide the future course of action after consulting all his followers.
Congress`s campaign committee chairman Shankarsinh Vaghela said "the criteria for tickets was very strict. Even Amin knew this when the party leaders sat down for deciding who to give tickets. He might be sad but he won`t leave the party."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal