Gujarat: Congress denies ticket to Narhari Amin
Ahmedabad: Former Deputy Chief Minister of Gujarat Narhari Amin, who was denied nomination by Congress for coming assembly polls, has asked his supporters to resign from their posts in the party and in the local bodies.
Amin`s supporters submitted their resignations to Gujarat Congress chief Arjun Modhwadia today. Those who resigned included city Congress chief Pankaj Shah and 18 municipal councillors, 40 ward presidents, and others.
Amin, an influential Patel community leader with a sizable following, had sought ticket from Gandhinagar South but the party stuck to its policy that it would not give nomination to those who have lost two elections.
"I have told the party leadership that I will not campaign for any Congress candidate," he told his supporters at a meeting, adding he will decide the future course of action after consulting all his followers.
Congress`s campaign committee chairman Shankarsinh Vaghela said "the criteria for tickets was very strict. Even Amin knew this when the party leaders sat down for deciding who to give tickets. He might be sad but he won`t leave the party."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror