Gujarat Congress president Siddarth Patel resigns
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress president
Siddarth Patel on Saturday tendered his resignation from the post
after party`s defeat in the state panchayats and
"I have sent my resignation to the party president Sonia
Gandhi," Patel told reporters here.
"There are doubts about the results which are not as per
our expectations. But in spite of this, accepting moral
responsibility for the results of local body elections I have
resigned," Patel said.
He thanked Sonia Gandhi for giving him a chance to lead
Congress in Gujarat and said he would continue to work for the
Patel`s three-year term had ended before three months but
due to the elections he was given an extension by the party.
Congress recently lost elections in six municipal
corporation of the state.
In the panchayats and municipalities polls, the counting
of which was carried out today, the party faced overwhelming
defeat at the hand of BJP.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents