Gujarat Congress president Siddarth Patel resigns
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress president
Siddarth Patel on Saturday tendered his resignation from the post
after party`s defeat in the state panchayats and
"I have sent my resignation to the party president Sonia
Gandhi," Patel told reporters here.
"There are doubts about the results which are not as per
our expectations. But in spite of this, accepting moral
responsibility for the results of local body elections I have
resigned," Patel said.
He thanked Sonia Gandhi for giving him a chance to lead
Congress in Gujarat and said he would continue to work for the
Patel`s three-year term had ended before three months but
due to the elections he was given an extension by the party.
Congress recently lost elections in six municipal
corporation of the state.
In the panchayats and municipalities polls, the counting
of which was carried out today, the party faced overwhelming
defeat at the hand of BJP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town