Gujarat Congress president Siddarth Patel resigns
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress president
Siddarth Patel on Saturday tendered his resignation from the post
after party`s defeat in the state panchayats and
"I have sent my resignation to the party president Sonia
Gandhi," Patel told reporters here.
"There are doubts about the results which are not as per
our expectations. But in spite of this, accepting moral
responsibility for the results of local body elections I have
resigned," Patel said.
He thanked Sonia Gandhi for giving him a chance to lead
Congress in Gujarat and said he would continue to work for the
Patel`s three-year term had ended before three months but
due to the elections he was given an extension by the party.
Congress recently lost elections in six municipal
corporation of the state.
In the panchayats and municipalities polls, the counting
of which was carried out today, the party faced overwhelming
defeat at the hand of BJP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love