Gujarat Congress president Siddarth Patel resigns
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress president
Siddarth Patel on Saturday tendered his resignation from the post
after party`s defeat in the state panchayats and
"I have sent my resignation to the party president Sonia
Gandhi," Patel told reporters here.
"There are doubts about the results which are not as per
our expectations. But in spite of this, accepting moral
responsibility for the results of local body elections I have
resigned," Patel said.
He thanked Sonia Gandhi for giving him a chance to lead
Congress in Gujarat and said he would continue to work for the
Patel`s three-year term had ended before three months but
due to the elections he was given an extension by the party.
Congress recently lost elections in six municipal
corporation of the state.
In the panchayats and municipalities polls, the counting
of which was carried out today, the party faced overwhelming
defeat at the hand of BJP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Virat Kohli vs Sachin Tendulkar: Who is a better cricketer? Read what Virender Sehwag has to say