Gujarat Congress seeks CBI inquiry in IAS officer case
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress president
Siddharth Patel on Friday demanded that investigation of a case
against arrested senior IAS officer Pradeep Sharma should be
transferred to CBI as he has levelled serious allegations
against Gujarat chief minister Narendra Modi.
"Sharma, a former district collector of Kutch, has in a
letter to state chief secretary A K Jyoti demanded that the
chief minister should also be included as a co-accused in the
case in which he is arrested. That case should be immediately
transferred to the CBI," Patel said.
According to the police case, Sharma, while he was
collector of Kutch district between 2003 and 2006, had
allegedly sold government land in Varshamedi of Anjar taluka
to Welspun Company at half the price.
The FIR against him said that as collector Sharma had
passed multiple orders beyond his authority, selling 80,000 sq
ft land to Welspun for Rs 12 lakh.
Patel said, "In his letter, Sharma has pointed out that
the chairman of Welspun company B K Goenka, during the
inauguration ceremony of the company`s premises in Kutch in
which Modi was also present, had said that the chief minister
had promised to give all the facilities for starting their
unit in Kutch.
"And in return, Sharma has mentioned in the letter, the
company gave two cheques of Rs 50 lakh and Rs 35 lakh for
celebrations of a government-function called Sarad Utsav
in Kutch. Though there are no proofs of such transactions but
in this case cheques were issued in a name of a trust," Patel
Sharma is behind bars in the case at present.
"This is the case where chief minister has given the
order of registering an FIR against Sharma. When now it is
revealed that he had assured full cooperation to the owner of
the company, he should be included as a co-accused as per the
demand of Sharma and CBI should be handed over the inquiry,"
In his letter dated January 1, 2011 to the state chief
secretary, Sharma had written that criminal investigations
against him in the case of Welspun should be transferred to
CBI, as he was being hounded by the chief minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in