Gujarat Congress urges Guv to reject Lokayukta Aayog Bill
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress today appealed to Governor Kamla Beniwal not to give her sanction to the newly-passed Gujarat Lokayukta Aayog Bill 2013, which the party said is "ultra vires" to the Constitution.
"Looking at the various provisions of this bill, it clearly spells that the proposed Aayog will remain merely on paper and there is no possibility of independent and neutral probe under it," says the memorandum, which was submitted to the Governor today by a delegation of Gujarat Congress led by the state unit president Arjun Modhwadia and the Leader of Opposition Shankarsinh Vaghela.
"We urge you to kindly peruse the anti-constitutional provisions made in the Gujarat Lokayukta Aayog Bill 2013 and use the constitutional powers vested upon you," the memorandum said while requesting Governor to reject the Bill.
"Most of the provisions in the bill are clearly ultra-vires to the Constitution and aim for such a system where the accused will be made judge to decide complains against himself," it said.
On April 2, the state Assembly passed the Gujarat Lokayukta Aayog Bill 2013, which proposes a multi-member Lokayukta institution with one Lokayukta and up to four Up-Lokayukta in the state, by majority vote after Congress MLAs walked out of the house in protest.
The bill, aiming to curtail the power of the Governor and the chief justice of the high court in the appointment of corruption watchdog, proposes to give all the powers of the appointment to a selection committee headed by Chief Minister and wants state Governor to act on the recommendations of this committee.
Congress, in its memorandum, has expressed its strong
objections to the major provisions of the bill which concerns not only to the appointment but in regards to the inclusion of non-judicial Up-Lokayukta, final decision on the report submitted by the Aayog on the complaint against any minister or the Chief Minister and time bar on entertaining any complaints of corruption.
The new Bill comes after the state government lost a bitter fight legally and politically when Governor Kamla Beniwal, bypassing the state government, appointed Justice R A Mehta as the state Lokayukta, which was upheld by the High Court as well as the Supreme Court in January this year.
A curative petition filed by the state government against the rejection of its review petition with regards to the appointment of Mehta, is pending before the apex court for hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm