Gujarat Congress writes to EC seeking details of NaMo TV`s funding
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress has demanded details from the state election commission regarding expenses of NaMo TV, the channel named after chief minister Narendra Modi, its sources of funding among other information.
In its letter to Gujarat Chief Electoral Officer Anita Karwal, Congress alleged that the channel was "misrepresenting" facts to show Union government in poor light.
"The channel is showing the Union government in poor light. Its source of funding, details about its expenses must be sought by the chief electoral officer to verify whether it violates the Model Code of Conduct or not. If it violates the Model Code of Conduct, the airing of the channel should be stopped immediately," Congress election coordination committee chairman Babubhai Patel said.
Meanwhile, the convenor of BJP`s election legal cell Parindu Bhagat has also dashed a missive to Election Commission seeking ban on advertisements by various ministries of the Congress-led UPA government in newspapers, All India Radio and Doordarshan (Girnar) in view of ensuring free and fair elections.
Meanwhile, Patel also requested the chief electoral officer to relax the cash limit beyond Rs 2.5 lakh in view of the festive season.
"We welcome the decision of the Election Commission that a person should produce documents if the amount is beyond Rs 2.5 lakh to prove its legality," he said.
"However, the commission should take into account the difficulties faced by businessmen during this festive season and an amicable solution should be reached in this regard," Patel added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price