Gujarat Congress writes to EC seeking details of NaMo TV`s funding
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress has demanded details from the state election commission regarding expenses of NaMo TV, the channel named after chief minister Narendra Modi, its sources of funding among other information.
In its letter to Gujarat Chief Electoral Officer Anita Karwal, Congress alleged that the channel was "misrepresenting" facts to show Union government in poor light.
"The channel is showing the Union government in poor light. Its source of funding, details about its expenses must be sought by the chief electoral officer to verify whether it violates the Model Code of Conduct or not. If it violates the Model Code of Conduct, the airing of the channel should be stopped immediately," Congress election coordination committee chairman Babubhai Patel said.
Meanwhile, the convenor of BJP`s election legal cell Parindu Bhagat has also dashed a missive to Election Commission seeking ban on advertisements by various ministries of the Congress-led UPA government in newspapers, All India Radio and Doordarshan (Girnar) in view of ensuring free and fair elections.
Meanwhile, Patel also requested the chief electoral officer to relax the cash limit beyond Rs 2.5 lakh in view of the festive season.
"We welcome the decision of the Election Commission that a person should produce documents if the amount is beyond Rs 2.5 lakh to prove its legality," he said.
"However, the commission should take into account the difficulties faced by businessmen during this festive season and an amicable solution should be reached in this regard," Patel added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read