Gujarat cop arrested on charges of rape
Ahmedabad: The Crime Branch Tuesday arrested a Police Inspector here for allegedly raping a 37-year-old woman and extorting Rs 50,000 from her.
An FIR was registered against Inspector FM Qureshi, after the woman lodged a complaint yesterday, and he was arrested by the Crime Branch, police said.
The victim told the police that she had come here to attend hearing in a case in the Gujarat High Court on November 1, 2012. As she knew no one in the city, she came in contact with Qureshi, posted as a security officer at the HC.
Initially, Qureshi behaved in a hospitable manner and arranged papers related to her case apart from managing her stay at a hotel run by his friend, police said.
He also accompanied her to Bhuj, about 300-km from here, while on duty. In Bhuj, he arranged her a lawyer. On way back to the city from Bhuj, Qureshi opened up to her and expressed a desire to marry her after divorcing his wife, police said.
Mina Jagtap, the woman`s lawyer, told a news agency, "He said he didn`t share a cordial relationship with his wife and wanted to divorce her."
The complaint further said between November 1 and December 31, Qureshi took her to hotels on various pretexts and allegedly raped her. He also took Rs 50,000 from her.
Qureshi told her that if she didn`t marry him, he would kill himself, according to the complaint.
The woman said the police officer had been lying about his marital relationship and he later started blackmailing and threatening her, leading her to file the complaint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Jharkhand: Firing during Dhanbad municipal elections, many injured
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’