Gujarat cops seeks Asaram`s custody, son claims innocence in ads
Jodhpur/Ahmedabad: Armed with a warrant, a Gujarat police team today moved a Jodhpur court seeking custody of jailed self-styled godman Asaram Bapu for questioning him in connection with a sexual assault case lodged by two sisters from Surat against him and his son.
The District and Session Court adjourned the matter till tomorrow after the police team from Ahmedabad, which reached here today, appeared before it with the production warrant issued against 72-year-old Asaram by a Gandhinagar court.
All the accused in the case are to appear before the court following expiry of their judicial remand. Also, the court today rejected the the bail applications of Asaram`s aides Sanchita Gupta alias Shilpi and Shiva.
Asaram was arrested in August on charges of sexually assaulting a minor girl and has been lodged in the Jodhpur Central Jail since last 40. His bail applications have been rejected by both the District and Session Court and the High Court.
"We have obtained the production warrant against Asaram from Gandhinagar court and have come here to seek permission of court for custody of Asaram to take him to Gujarat with us for interrogation in relation to the case registered in Surat by two girls," said a member of the Gujarat Police team.
DCP (West) Ajay Pal Lamba said that the Jodhpur Police has completed all its investigation related to Asaram and will extend all cooperation to Gujarat Police.
Surat Police had registered the two complaints -one against Asaram and another against son Narayan Sai - of rape, sexual assault, illegal confinement and other charges.
The complaint against Asaram was transferred to Chandkheda police station in Ahmedabad as the incident took place in Asaram`s ashram here.
Meanwhile, Narayan Sai, against whom a look out notice has been issued in connection with the sexual assault case, has given advertisements in Surat newspapers claiming that he is innocent and will not run away. The advertisements also mention that Sai will take a legal recourse in the matter.
City police had yesterday summoned him for questioning by serving notice to various ashrams in Gujarat run by the father-son duo.
The whereabouts of Sai are not known to police and the advertisements say nothing about where he is holed up. "Our client has not gone away and will not run away," the advertisements, issued through his advocate Gautam Desai, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly