Gujarat court frames charges against Bhatt in custodial death case
Jamnagar: A local court on Thursday framed charges of murder and other offences against suspended Gujarat IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt, who has been at loggerheads with Narendra Modi government, and six other accused policemen in a 22-year-old case of custodial torture.
Jamkhambaliya Sessions judge NT Solanki, after rejecting the applications of the accused policemen, today completed the process of framing charges and fixed December 4 for recording of evidence.
Apart from Bhatt, who has alleged complicity of Chief Minister Narendra Modi in 2002 post-Godhra riots, the six accused policemen are Dipak Bhagwandas Shah, Keshubhai Jadeja, Shailesh Pandya, Pravinsinh Jorubha Jhala, Pravinsinh Babubhai Jhala and Anopsinh Jethwa.
The case pertains to the death of one Prabhudas Vaishnani who allegedly succumbed to injuries inflicted on him while in custody at the Jamkhambaliya police station. The police had allegedly thrashed him on the night of October 30, 1990.
Bhatt was Assistant Superintendent of Police then in Jamnagar. He had arrested Vaishnani and more than 100 other people for rioting and other offences. They were protesting the arrest of BJP leader Lal Krishna Advani who had embarked on the Rath Yatra at that time.
The court framed charges against all the seven accused in the case under various sections of the Indian Penal Code(IPC) including 302 (murder), 323 (voluntarily causing hurt), 504 (intentional insult with intent to provoke breach of peace), 506(1) (criminal intimidation) read either with 114 (abetment) or 34 (common intent).
"After the delay of so many years, finally the trial has commenced and now the first thing we have to do is to finalise the list of witnesses whom we want to examine," said public prosecutor Vimal Chotai.
Prabhudas`s brother, Amrutlal Vaishnani, had lodged a complaint against Bhatt and six other policemen in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared