Gujarat court gives additional time to Zakia on SIT closure report
Ahmedabad: A local court on Wednesday granted time till October 25 to Zakia Jafri to file a protest petition on the closure report filed by Special Investigation Team giving clean chit to Chief Minister Narendra Modi and others in 2002 post-Godhra riots.
"As we have filed a petition in Supreme Court seeking clarification of certain issues related to this case we request that court should grant reasonable time to file us the protest petition against the SIT closure report," submitted advocate S M Vora who represents Zakia in this case.
Acting upon this application Metropolitan Magistrate B J Ganatra while granting the time, directed Zakia to produce the order of the SC, if passed, by October 25 when the next hearing of the case is fixed.
"Looking at the past three orders of this court and line of arguments put forward by SIT it appears that there is an impression that our complaint was only limited to the Gulberg Society massacre, where in fact we had complained about the role of CM and others in state-wide riots," said Vora.
"This has prompted us to move to Supreme Court to seek clarification that its order pertaining to Zakia`s case is not only restricted to Gulberg Society case but is applicable to state-wide riots," he added.
Though the Supreme Court-appointed SIT has strongly objected the prayer of granting more time to Zakia on the ground that the apex court has not granted any stay on the proceedings of this court and hence Zakia should be asked to promptly file her protest petition.
SIT, after investigating the complaint filed by Zakia against Narendra Modi and others, had submitted its closure report on February 8 this year, absolving all of them of any wrongdoings in post-Godhra riots where more then 1200 people had lost their lives.
The Supreme Court in its order had told SIT to submit its final report in the local court here and given complainant Zakia liberty to file a protest petition against the closure report filed by the investigating agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional