Gujarat court to hear charges against Asaram today
Zee Media Bureau
Gandhinagar: A court here on Friday will begin hearing charges against self-styled godman Asaram Bapu, who is an accused in a rape case.
The Gujarat police yesterday filed the chargesheet against Asaram in connection with the case, on the complaint filed by a Surat-based woman.
Asaram already has a chargesheet filed against him in Jodhpur, Rajasthan, in another rape case.
The present chargesheet, filed in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate JB Parikh here, is against Asaram, his wife Lakshmi, daughter Bharti and his four women followers -- Dhruvben, Nirmala, Jassi and Meera.
All of them are charged under sections 376 (rape), 342 (illegal confinement) and 120 B (criminal conspiracy) of the Indian Penal Code.
The magistrate would hear their applications seeking copies of the chargesheet on January 13.
Two Surat-based women, sisters, have accused Asaram and his son Narayan Sai of sexual exploitation. The accusations followed Asaram`s arrest in Jodhpur case.
The elder sister has levelled allegations against Asaram, and the younger sister against his son. In Asaram`s case, the complainant had accused him of sexual assaults between 1997 and 2006, when she was living in his ashram on the outskirts of Ahmedabad.
Asaram is presently lodged in a judicial custody in Jodhpur.
(With PTI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster