Gujarat DGP seeks report on gang-rape victim`s plight
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat state police chief has sought a detailed report about alleged police "negligence" in not registering the FIR of a gang-rape victim, who had attempted to end her life due to frustration in a court here.
"I have sought a complete report from the city police commissioner on why no FIR was registered when a girl came to them complaining about rape," Director General of Police(DGP) Chittranjan Singh told PTI on Thursday.
Yesterday, the victim attempted suicide by consuming a poisonous substance right in front of the metropolitan magistrate here alleging "delay" in getting justice.
The victim, who worked at a garment firm in Amraiwadi here, had approached the local police station as well as the police commissioner`s office in August 2007, alleging gangrape by the firm`s owner and his three accomplices, with the help of three lady co-workers at the firm.
When the police did not register an FIR for two months, the victim`s mother filed a complaint before the metropolitan magistrate`s court on October 30, which ordered a police inquiry on February 22.
"Shockingly, 10 months later, police filed a closing report in which it claimed that the girl was in love with the store owner and was trying to defame him," advocate Bharat Shah, who provided legal assistance to the victim, said.
While rejecting the police report, the court ordered an inquiry under Sec 202 of the CrPC on July 27, 2010, and since then the case got repeatedly adjourned, due to which the girl got frustrated and took the extreme step, Shah said.
The state police has no plans to handover the whole probe to a different investigating agency like CID (Crime).
"At present, the magisterial court is seized of the matter and it is sub-judice. Hence, we do not intend to hand it over to other agency," the DGP said.
Meanwhile, the Karanj police visited the metropolitan court today where the girl attempted to end her life.
"We have taken statements of the bench clerk of the magistrate, the registrar of court and others who were present in the court room when the girl consumed the poisonous substance," police inspector S Sisodiya said.
The health of the victim has improved and she has been transfered to the general ward from the emergency room of V S Hospital, where she was rushed on Wednesday, hospital sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM