This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

Gujarat DGP seeks report on gang-rape victim`s plight

Gujarat state police chief has sought a detailed report about alleged police "negligence" in not registering the FIR of a gang-rape victim.

Ahmedabad: The Gujarat state police chief has sought a detailed report about alleged police "negligence" in not registering the FIR of a gang-rape victim, who had attempted to end her life due to frustration in a court here.

"I have sought a complete report from the city police commissioner on why no FIR was registered when a girl came to them complaining about rape," Director General of Police(DGP) Chittranjan Singh told PTI on Thursday.

Yesterday, the victim attempted suicide by consuming a poisonous substance right in front of the metropolitan magistrate here alleging "delay" in getting justice.

The victim, who worked at a garment firm in Amraiwadi here, had approached the local police station as well as the police commissioner`s office in August 2007, alleging gangrape by the firm`s owner and his three accomplices, with the help of three lady co-workers at the firm.

When the police did not register an FIR for two months, the victim`s mother filed a complaint before the metropolitan magistrate`s court on October 30, which ordered a police inquiry on February 22.

"Shockingly, 10 months later, police filed a closing report in which it claimed that the girl was in love with the store owner and was trying to defame him," advocate Bharat Shah, who provided legal assistance to the victim, said.

While rejecting the police report, the court ordered an inquiry under Sec 202 of the CrPC on July 27, 2010, and since then the case got repeatedly adjourned, due to which the girl got frustrated and took the extreme step, Shah said.

The state police has no plans to handover the whole probe to a different investigating agency like CID (Crime).

"At present, the magisterial court is seized of the matter and it is sub-judice. Hence, we do not intend to hand it over to other agency," the DGP said.

Meanwhile, the Karanj police visited the metropolitan court today where the girl attempted to end her life.

"We have taken statements of the bench clerk of the magistrate, the registrar of court and others who were present in the court room when the girl consumed the poisonous substance," police inspector S Sisodiya said.

The health of the victim has improved and she has been transfered to the general ward from the emergency room of V S Hospital, where she was rushed on Wednesday, hospital sources said.


From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions