Gujarat elections 2012: Rahul Gandhi terms Narendra Modi as `marketeer`
Sanand: Making his first appearance in the Gujarat Assembly election campaign, Congress leader Rahul Gandhi today unleashed an attack on Chief Minister Narendra Modi calling him a "marketeer" who does false propaganda claiming progress in the state.
"People`s voice is not heard in Gujarat. The government of Gujarat and the Chief Minister do not want to listen to you. He wants to hear only his own voice. He has his dream and he thinks only about his own dream. A true leader makes people`s dream his own dream," he said addressing a rally here, the town where Tata Motors relocated from Singur to make low-cost Nano car.
The Congress General Secretary claimed that a false propaganda that Gujarat was making all round progress has been launched but contrary to it there is rampant corruption in the state, unemployment is very high and there is all round failure.
"The marketeer says Gujarat is shining. But tell me how many hours people get water? People get water for 25 minutes in every three days. But marketeer says Gujarat is shining. There are 10 lakh unemployed youth in Gujarat. But marketeer says Gujarat is shining," he said.
Rahul said voice of poor and down-trodden is suppressed in Gujarat as the leader does not want to hear common people`s grievances.
"Gandhiji and Nehruji always wanted to hear people`s voice. They were true leaders," he said.
The Congress leader claimed that even opposition`s voice is curbed in Gujarat as the Assembly sits for just 25 days in a year and very often opposition leaders are thrown out of the House.
Rahul said there is no Lokayukta in Gujarat and 14,000 RTI applications were pending as government does not want to let any information come out as it would expose its true affairs.
Attacking Modi in the land of the Mahatma, Rahul said,
"Gandhiji had one simple rule that voice of not only every Indian, but for that matter voice of everyone in the world should be heard, whether that person is poor or rich...That person may be of any region, religion or caste, but his voice should be respected.
"If I have any `guru` in politics, then he is Gandhiji," he said, adding that the Mahatma`s teaching were not being followed in Gujarat.
"Take a look at the UPA government, at (Prime Minister) Manmohan Sinhji, (Congress president) Soniaji, our ministers and our programmes. And not only of the UPA government but look at past 60-70 years. And show me one programme which has taken away anybody`s voice," the Congress leader said.
He said that banking on false propaganda an image has been created that Gujarat is shining.
"Shakti (power) is not in one man`s voice. Shakti is in entire Gujarat`s voice, the voice of common man, youth of Gujarat and the tribals of Gujarat. This voice is being suppressed in Gujarat," Rahul said.
Earlier, Rahul went on to narrate a story of Mahatma Gandhi, Motilal Nehru and Jawaharlal Nehru.
"My father had told me this story that during the freedom struggle when Jawaharlal Nehru was in jail...Gandhji had slept on the floor in their house in Allahabad leaving the bed empty.
"When Motilalji asked Gandhji why was he sleeping on the floor, he had replied that as Jawaharlal was sleeping on the floor in jail he was also sleeping on the floor," Rahul said.
"Today, when I was coming here I was thinking about what did Gujarat give me. Gujarat is a very important region of our country. The incident of Gandhiji with Motilalji and Jawaharji came to my mind. This is the history of Gujarat," he said.
"This is a gift from Gujarat. Ideology of Gandhiji is an ideology of Gujarat. Because of you, your ideology, we have democracy in the country," Rahul told the gathering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!