Gujarat farmers protest against land acquisition
Vadodara: Farmers from around 60 villages in Vadodara and neighbouring Bharuch districts on Monday took out a rally against acquisition of their farmlands for upcoming developmental projects.
The lands are being taken over for the construction of proposed Vadodara-Mumbai Express Way and a bullet train track connecting Ahmedabad to Pune via Mumbai.
In a memorandum submitted to district collector, the farmers said, "they will launch a stir if their fertile lands are continued to be acquired for the projects".
Addressing the farmers, Hasmukh Bhatt of Ekta Gramin Praja Vichar Manch demanded scrapping of the bullet train project.
The farmers also alleged that the land for the Ahmedabad-Vadodara Expressway project was being acquired under the Land Acquisition Act and under NHAI Act for another similar project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city