Gujarat farmers protest against land acquisition
Vadodara: Farmers from around 60 villages in Vadodara and neighbouring Bharuch districts on Monday took out a rally against acquisition of their farmlands for upcoming developmental projects.
The lands are being taken over for the construction of proposed Vadodara-Mumbai Express Way and a bullet train track connecting Ahmedabad to Pune via Mumbai.
In a memorandum submitted to district collector, the farmers said, "they will launch a stir if their fertile lands are continued to be acquired for the projects".
Addressing the farmers, Hasmukh Bhatt of Ekta Gramin Praja Vichar Manch demanded scrapping of the bullet train project.
The farmers also alleged that the land for the Ahmedabad-Vadodara Expressway project was being acquired under the Land Acquisition Act and under NHAI Act for another similar project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Three new suicide attacks in Lebanon village near Syria
- Preparing for Brexit, Britain may see new PM by early September
- US says India has shown sustained commitment to non-proliferation
- Earthquake shakes southern Mexico, felt in capital
- Turkey mends fences with Israel and Russia in foreign policy reset