Gujarat farmers protest against land acquisition
Vadodara: Farmers from around 60 villages in Vadodara and neighbouring Bharuch districts on Monday took out a rally against acquisition of their farmlands for upcoming developmental projects.
The lands are being taken over for the construction of proposed Vadodara-Mumbai Express Way and a bullet train track connecting Ahmedabad to Pune via Mumbai.
In a memorandum submitted to district collector, the farmers said, "they will launch a stir if their fertile lands are continued to be acquired for the projects".
Addressing the farmers, Hasmukh Bhatt of Ekta Gramin Praja Vichar Manch demanded scrapping of the bullet train project.
The farmers also alleged that the land for the Ahmedabad-Vadodara Expressway project was being acquired under the Land Acquisition Act and under NHAI Act for another similar project.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC