Gujarat gets approval to raise height of Narmada dam
Ahmedabad: In a major boost to Gujarat which has been regularly facing water woes due to deficient rains, Chief Minister Anandiben Patel on Thursday announced that they have got approval to raise the height of Narmada dam to 138.72 metres (455 feet).
"The Narmada Control Authority (NCA) has given the approval to raise the height of the dam to 138 metres," Patel said in Junagadh while she was there to attend a function.
The decision of the NCA comes just a few days after Narendra Modi took over as the Prime Minister of the country.
"Heartfelt gratitude from the people of Gujarat to Hon PM Narendra Modi. The decision pending has come so swiftly. Achchhe din aa Gaye hain!!," she also tweeted on micro blogging site twitter today.
"At Junagadh right now for Shala Preveshotsav. Leaving for Narmada dam site at Kevadia. Not a single day should be lost in resuming work," she further tweeted.
State Health Minister and spokesperson Nitin Patel told PTI, "We have received the approval for raising the height of Narmada dam from 121.92 metres to 138 metres."
The decision to raise the height of the dam comes after eight years.
The foundation stone of the dam was laid by country`s first prime minister Jawaharlal Nehru on April 5, 1961. The project, however, got embroiled in controversy over issues of displacement of project-affected people.
However, the Supreme Court had earlier given the approval for the project to raise the height of the dam to 138.72 metres.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees