Gujarat: Godhra convict held after jumping bail
Ahmedabad: A Godhra train burning case
convict was on Tuesday arrested after he jumped bail and remained
untraceable for over a month.
"Shaukat Badam alias Ghanchi (45), who was awarded life
sentence by the court last year, was arrested from the state
transport bus depot in the city," ACP Mayur Chavda said.
Badam, lodged in Vadodara Central Jail, had been granted
a temporary bail by the Gujarat High Court in December so that
he could attend his daughter`s wedding. However, he did not
return after the bail-period expired.
The ACP said that Badam hid in Godhra town and later in
Ahmedabad with the help of some relatives. He would now be
sent back to Vadodara jail.
Another Godhra convict, Bilal Abdullah Ismail, has been
absconding after jumping temporary bail, crime branch
officials said. Bilal too has got a life sentence.
The special court, on March 1 last year, awarded death
sentence to 11 persons and life imprisonment to 20 others in
the 2002 Godhra train burning case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Inside view: Hillary Clinton e-mails reveal what US thinks of India
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah