Gujarat: Godhra convict held after jumping bail
Ahmedabad: A Godhra train burning case
convict was on Tuesday arrested after he jumped bail and remained
untraceable for over a month.
"Shaukat Badam alias Ghanchi (45), who was awarded life
sentence by the court last year, was arrested from the state
transport bus depot in the city," ACP Mayur Chavda said.
Badam, lodged in Vadodara Central Jail, had been granted
a temporary bail by the Gujarat High Court in December so that
he could attend his daughter`s wedding. However, he did not
return after the bail-period expired.
The ACP said that Badam hid in Godhra town and later in
Ahmedabad with the help of some relatives. He would now be
sent back to Vadodara jail.
Another Godhra convict, Bilal Abdullah Ismail, has been
absconding after jumping temporary bail, crime branch
officials said. Bilal too has got a life sentence.
The special court, on March 1 last year, awarded death
sentence to 11 persons and life imprisonment to 20 others in
the 2002 Godhra train burning case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Nitish suspends Cabinet Minister Kushwaha over alleged sting operation
- Watch: PM Modi delivers speech at Mumbai Metro Phase-II inauguration
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Panel discussion on the controversial sacking of Asim Ahmed Khan from AAP
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- India planning to buy Russian S-400 Triumf air defence missile systems: Report
- How Twitteratis reacted to PM Modi calling Prakash Singh Badal 'Nelson Mandela'
- Watch: How smartly this woman steals smartphone, walks away with it
- India vs South Africa: MS Dhoni disappointed about 'gamble' not paying off