Gujarat Governor praises Modi for Kite festival
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Governor Dr Kamla on Wednesday hailed CM Narendra Modi for his efforts in popularising the Kite Festival, saying his personal interest has made the programme "spectacular and impressive".
Flagging off the 22nd International Kite Festival along
with Modi at the Sabarmati riverfront here today, the Governor
said, "Makar Sankranti has a unique place in Gujarat`s
tradition, more particularly for Ahmedabad city. The festival,
in social terms, has become a symbol of unity and
"The programme (Kite festival) has been grand and
spectacular. People have applauded it. For the awareness it
has generated and the environment it has created, the efforts
of the chief minister and his colleagues need to be
appreciated," Dr Kamla said in her address.
"I would like to wish all the people of Gujarat a happy
Makar Sankranti, especially the chief minister, who takes
personal interest in all these programmes and because of
which, they become so spectacular and impressive," she added.
The statement assumes significance in the backdrop of the
stand-off between the Modi government and the Governor
over the appointment of the state Lokayukta by the latter.
The state government had approached the Gujarat High
Court opposing the Governor`s decision of appointing retired
Justice RA Mehta as the state Lokayukta. The matter is still
Modi had even written to the Prime Minister last
September demanding Dr Kamla be recalled. He had alleged that
she had acted in an unconstitutional manner in appointing the
Lokayukta without the aide and advice of the council of
ministers of the state government.
Talking about the Kite festival, the Governor said, "In
real sense, the festival highlights the glorious cultural
traditions of Gujarat."
According to a report, Ahmedabad Kite festival was among
the top five most popular Kite festivals in the world out of
the two dozen such festivals, she added.
Modi too thanked the Governor for her presence and
He said that the Ahmedabad Kite festival has now found
its place in the international festivals of the world.
Gujarat Tourism minister Jaynarayan Vyas, in his address,
said that the festival will launch Gujarat on the tourism map
Vyas said that the festival has gone beyond being a
tourism event. "The festival has given a boost to the kite
manufacturing industry in Gujarat, which employs over six
"A survey in 2007 had estimated the kite manufacturing
industry in Gujarat to be worth Rs 100 crore. If extrapolation
is done on that figure, today the industry would around Rs 175
crore giving employment to thirty thousand people in Ahmedabad
alone," Vyas said.
As many as 300 kite fliers would participate in the
three-day festival, including 81 kite fliers from 24
countries, 120 from nine state of the country and local fliers
from different parts of the Gujarat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year