Gujarat govt accuses Teesta Setalwad of misuse of NGO funds
Ahmedabad: The prosecution on Wednesday alleged that the NGO `Citizens for Justice and Peace`, run by Teesta Setalwad who has consistently taken up the cause of 2002 Gujarat riots victims, got a huge amount of foreign funds and misappropriated them.
"In 2007, JP had very negligible amount of funds, but till February 20 this year their accounts have flourished with donations of crores of rupees," said special public prosecutor Ajay Choksi at the sessions court here.
Opposing Setalwad`s anticipatory bail plea, Choksi, representing the Ahmedabad crime branch, accused her and her husband Javed Anand of syphoning off funds.
Twelve Residents of Gulbarg Society here demanded Rs 1.51 crore from Setalwad last year alleging that the money collected ostensibly for them was never disbursed.
In one of the worst massacres during the post-Godhra riots, 68 people including former Congress MP, Ehsan Zafri were killed at Gulbarg Society on February 28, 2002.
Choksi today alleged that "they have got foreign aid in the name of building mausoleum for the riot victims at the Gulbarg Society.
"CJP`s two bank accounts have got Rs 1.31 crore and Rs 4.97 crore respectively as a foreign donation. While Sabrang trust, another NGO run by Setalwad and Javed Anand, has got foreign donation of Rs 2.62 crore in the last seven years."
Choksi has also told the court that Setalwad and Anand grabbed copyrights for the CDs and books which compile accounts of the riot-victims.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...