Gujarat govt extends term of Nanavati panel till June 30, 2013
Ahmedabad: The Nanavati Commission probing the 2002 riots has been granted extension of six months till June 30, 2013, for the 19th time, officials associated with the commission said.
The term of the Commission comprising retd Justices G T Nanavati and Akshay Mehta was last time extended in March this year and was to get over on Monday.
"The state government has extended the term of the Commission by six months upto June 30," commission`s secretary C G Patel told PTI.
The riot panel in 2008 had submitted one part of its finding that was with regard to Godhra train burning incident, where it had concluded that the burning of S-6 coach of Sabarmati Express near Godhra railway station was a pre-planned conspiracy.
The Commission was appointed by the state government on March 3, 2002, under the Commission of Inquiry Act and comprised of Justice K G Shah.
The probe panel was formed after widespread communal riots in the state in wake of the Godhra train carnage on February 27, 2002.
Initially the terms of reference (TOR) of Commission was to inquire into facts, circumstances and course of events that led to burning of the S-6 coach of Sabarmati Express near Godhra railway station.
In May 2002, the state government appointed retired Justice G T Nanavati as chairman of the Commission.
The TOR was further amended in June 2002 and the Commission was also asked to inquire the incidents of violence that took place after the Godhra train burning.
In 2008, after the death of Justice K G Shah, Justice Akshay Mehta was appointed to the Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- IT department to 'name and shame' crorepati defaulters this fiscal
- Father and son cut open a wasp's nest – Watch video to find out what's inside!
- Syrian base used by Russia damaged in IS attack: Report
- Those who don''t gossip could become saints, says Pope
- Mafia don's calls: Maharashtra minister hits back at AAP