Gujarat govt extends term of Nanavati panel till June 30, 2013
Ahmedabad: The Nanavati Commission probing the 2002 riots has been granted extension of six months till June 30, 2013, for the 19th time, officials associated with the commission said.
The term of the Commission comprising retd Justices G T Nanavati and Akshay Mehta was last time extended in March this year and was to get over on Monday.
"The state government has extended the term of the Commission by six months upto June 30," commission`s secretary C G Patel told PTI.
The riot panel in 2008 had submitted one part of its finding that was with regard to Godhra train burning incident, where it had concluded that the burning of S-6 coach of Sabarmati Express near Godhra railway station was a pre-planned conspiracy.
The Commission was appointed by the state government on March 3, 2002, under the Commission of Inquiry Act and comprised of Justice K G Shah.
The probe panel was formed after widespread communal riots in the state in wake of the Godhra train carnage on February 27, 2002.
Initially the terms of reference (TOR) of Commission was to inquire into facts, circumstances and course of events that led to burning of the S-6 coach of Sabarmati Express near Godhra railway station.
In May 2002, the state government appointed retired Justice G T Nanavati as chairman of the Commission.
The TOR was further amended in June 2002 and the Commission was also asked to inquire the incidents of violence that took place after the Godhra train burning.
In 2008, after the death of Justice K G Shah, Justice Akshay Mehta was appointed to the Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!