Gujarat govt ignoring children of displaced slum-dwellers: Congress
Gandhinagar: Taking a dig over the visit of Pakistani delegation to Sabarmati riverfront project in Ahmedabad earlier in the day, Congress leader Shaktisinh Gohil on Monday said in the Assembly that government was ignoring the problems of children displaced due to the project.
"When Pakistan is constantly firing on Indian territory across the border, the state government invited delegates from the country to see the riverfront. But the government doesn`t have time to see whether education is available to children of slum-dwellers who were displaced from the riverfront (during its development)," Gohil said, speaking during the discussion on budgetary allocations of education department.
Gohil also claimed that government was doing injustice to teachers by not paying them enough salary.
"Teachers are paid a fixed salary of just Rs 5,300. Even the High Court slammed the government by terming it as exploitation. Instead of increasing the salary, government dragged the matter up to Supreme Court. Such policies are affecting the education sector very badly," he said.
The Congress MLA also said that government should stop wasting the money on school enrollment program `Praveshotsam`, and focus on recruiting teachers and professors.
"In Gujarat, 75 per cent posts of principals of engineering and poly-technic colleges are still vacant. Ninety per cent posts of professors, 71 per cent posts of assistant professors and 74 per cent posts of lecturers are lying vacant. As there is no one to teach engineering students, they eventually fail to secure jobs," Gohil said, claiming that 11,305 qualified engineers in the state were jobless.
Talking about allocations of ports department, he claimed that state government was doing injustice to the Alang ship-breaking yard.
"Government earns a huge revenue from Alang yard, but due to corruption no concrete policy has been framed yet for ship-breakers. A proposal to build a jetty is pending for long. High Court had ordered that a particular amount should be spent for the welfare of labourers at Alang but government hasn`t done anything yet," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!