Gujarat govt orders restoration of old schedule of liquor shops
Vadodara: The Gujarat government has directed the Prohibition and Excise Department to restore the earlier 1200-2000 hrs schedule of permitted liquor shops in the state, a senior official said.
"The Director of Prohibition and Excise Department has been asked to restore the old trading time of the permitted liquor shops across the state," Sudeep Kumar Nanda, Additional Chief Secretary to the state Home Department told a news agency today.
"The old trading time of 1200-2000 hrs has been restored again keeping in mind various factors and the larger interest of tourists, hotel owners and others," Nanda said over phone.
As per the revised schedule, which had come into force from November 6, the permitted liquor shops across the state had to operate between 1030 hrs and 1810 hrs.
However, hoteliers, liquor shop owners and industries associations had opposed the move and demanded that the old schedule be continued to avoid problems for many, particularly tourists visiting the state.
A circular about the 1030-1810 hrs schedule was issued on October 30 by the state Prohibition and Excise Department.
The circular had stated that the government decided to make changes in the existing trading time of these shops after an oral representation by some women employees of Prohibition Department, posted in these shops as part of their duties.
The circular had stated that out of the total number of employees in the Prohibition Department, 33 percent are women who find it difficult to work in these shops between 1200 hrs and 2000 hrs.
However, expressing surprise over the move, Nanda said the schedule cannot be changed just for the convenience of recently-recruited women employees.
Leader of the Opposition in Gujarat Assembly, Shankersinh Vaghela, had also opposed the move.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video