Gujarat govt should be ashamed of law and order situation: Vaghela
Ahmedabad: Leader of Opposition in Gujarat Assembly and senior Congress leader Shankersinh Vaghela on Sunday lambasted the BJP-led Gujarat government for allegedly failing to curb crimes against women.
Vaghela was referring to an alleged gang-rape of a 16-year-old tribal girl in Sabarkantha district yesterday.
"That girl was raped twice by several men. She escaped from the clutches of rapists and is now being treated at a hospital. This incident took place on the day when our Minister of State for Home (Rajni Patel) was on official visit to that area," Vaghela alleged.
"During BJP rule here, rapists and criminals have become fearless. Recently, minor girls were abducted, raped and burnt alive in several places in the state.
The Gujarat government should be ashamed of such a situation. They must do something about it," Vaghela alleged.
"After the Nirbhaya gang-rape incident in Delhi, BJP staged protests and candle marches across the state. They even floated a Project Nirbhaya here. Now, when such incidents are on the rise, I don`t see any implementation of any such programmes," Vaghela alleged, even as he attended a meeting with other Congress leaders today to decide the strategy of his party.
The high-level meeting was attended by Vaghela, Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee president (GPCC) Arjun Modhwadia, former president Siddharth Patel, former city mayor Himmatsinh Patel and several MLAs.
"Our leaders expressed deep concern about the prevailing law and order situation in Gujarat. The BJP government is also involved in corruption and selling of grazing land to business houses," GPCC spokesperson Manish Doshi said.
"To voice the plight of common man, Gujarat Congress has decided to launch a statewide protest from August 9, which is celebrated as August Kranti Day across the country," Doshi said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference