Gujarat govt supersedes elected bodies of two municipalities
Ahmedabad: Gujarat government on Friday night superseded the elected bodies of Porbandar and Talala municipalities as they failed to pass their budgets.
Stating that there were no political considerations behind the move, the state government has pointed out that while Porbander was ruled by Congress, Talala`s municipality was also superseded although it was ruled by the BJP.
The state government superseded the elected bodies at Porbandar and Talala municipality as they had failed to pass their budgets, Urban Development minister Nitin Patel said.
"If the municipalities fail to pass their budget, their day-to-day working is affected. The order of superseding the municipalities was issued in line with the urban development department rules," Patel said.
Superseding of the elected body of Porbander may still have some political overtones as the assembly elections are round the corner and Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee president Arjun Modhvadia belongs to Porbandar and is an MLA from that constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing