Gujarat govt supersedes elected bodies of two municipalities
Ahmedabad: Gujarat government on Friday night superseded the elected bodies of Porbandar and Talala municipalities as they failed to pass their budgets.
Stating that there were no political considerations behind the move, the state government has pointed out that while Porbander was ruled by Congress, Talala`s municipality was also superseded although it was ruled by the BJP.
The state government superseded the elected bodies at Porbandar and Talala municipality as they had failed to pass their budgets, Urban Development minister Nitin Patel said.
"If the municipalities fail to pass their budget, their day-to-day working is affected. The order of superseding the municipalities was issued in line with the urban development department rules," Patel said.
Superseding of the elected body of Porbander may still have some political overtones as the assembly elections are round the corner and Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee president Arjun Modhvadia belongs to Porbandar and is an MLA from that constituency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!