Gujarat govt to clear air on housing board controversy soon

Last Updated: Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 23:12

Ahmedabad: Gujarat government has undertaken an inquiry after allegations of irregularities surfaced in the online draw of more than 5,000 homes built and allotted by the state Housing Board.

"We have already started an inquiry from our side to find the truth behind the whole controversy. Since last four days, we are investigating the matter and will make an announcement in coming days," Gujarat Urban Development and Housing Department Secretary Mona Khandhar said.

Many applicants complained that the computerised draw selected only those who gave online application, not those who submitted their applications in physical form to the GHB office, Khandhar said.

Many of these dissatisfied applicants today gave a memorandum to Ahmedabad Collector demanding the cancellation of previous draw results and conduct a fresh draw, she said.
On the question of conducting a re-draw, Khandhar said all the options are open.

"We are examining all the aspects into the allegations made by applicants. If needed, we will go for the re-draw. However, you will find out about our decision in days to come," she said.

Earlier on Sunday, the GHB conducted computerised draw to allot around 5,000 houses in 4 major cities, including Rajkot, Amedabad, Surat and Vadodara. After the results, many aspirants, whose names were not selected, staged protests and demanded to cancel the draw by claiming mass irregularities by the GHB in the process.

Meanwhile, Gujarat Congress today raised the issue and announced to stage statewide protests.

"Thousands of needy applicants have become the victim of irregularities of GHB. We demand an inquiry commission under a sitting High Court judge to investigate the case. We also demand that the state government cancel the draw and conduct fresh one," Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee president Arjun Modhwadia said.
"We learned that only online applicants have been allotted
homes through the draw. In some cases, two to three members of a family managed to get homes. Though, these homes are meant for lower or middle income group people, many applicants having their own bungalows were chosen in the draw," Modhwadia alleged.

"To support all the victims and put pressure on the BJP government, Congress leaders and workers will hold massive protests in Ahmedabad, Rajkot, Vadodara and Suart tomorrow. We will also raise the issue in the upcoming Assembly session," he said.

PTI

First Published: Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 23:12

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus