Gujarat HC acquits 1993 arms landing case accused in another case
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Wednesday acquitted Umarmiya Bukhari alias Mammumiyan Panjumiya, a key accused in 1993 Gosabara RDX landing case, in an attempt to murder case.
Mammumiyan was convicted and sentenced to seven years` rigorous imprisonment by the sessions court in 2008 for attempting to murder a policeman in Porbandar in February 1993.
The division bench of Justices Akil Kureshi and R P Dholaria, however, upheld Mammumiyan`s appeal, overturning the lower court order today.
Mammumiyan is one of the key accused in the case related to landing of RDX on Gosabara coast of Porbandar in 1993. The explosives were allegedly used in serial bomb blasts in Mumbai in the same year; the trial against him is pending before the TADA court.
In the present case, according to the prosecution, on February 6, 1993, police sub-inspector V R Agath and his team stopped three trucks on suspicion in Gosabara coastal area.
Mammumiyan, alleged to be involved in smuggling, was travelling in one of the trucks; he got down and fired at policemen from a pistol. No one was injured and while four others were arrested on the spot, Mammumiyan managed to escape.
He was arrested in 2004.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!