Gujarat HC commutes death sentence in rape and murder case
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Tuesday commuted the death sentence awarded to two convicts in the 2007 Chandni rape and murder case, to life imprisonment.
A division bench of the Gujarat High Court headed by Justices Akil Kureshi and RP Dholaria today ruled that the case was not a fit one to fall into the "rarest of the rare" category.
The High Court commuted death sentences awarded to Mohan Hamir and Mahesh Chauhan alias Bhado by a Junagadh sessions court in December 2011 to life imprisonment of 30 years and 20 years respectively.
Besides sentencing Hamir and Mahesh to death for murdering Chandni and raping her friend, the Junagadh sessions court had also imposed a fine of Rs 25,000 each on the two accused.
In a 132-page order, Additional District Sessions Judge GM Patel had said this was a "rarest of the rare" case, and if let off, the accused would pose a danger to society.
The conviction was challenged by the duo in the High Court and at the same time, the Gujarat state government had filed a petition for confirmation of their death sentence. Both the cases were heard by the High Court and disposed off.
The incident took place on May 13, 2007 when Rajkot-based Ramjibhai Vinjvadiya`s family had gone to Datar mountain in Junagadh for a pilgrimage with daughter Chandni (15) and her 18-year-old female friend.
On the way down from Dattatreya temple, the two girls fell behind the others, when the accused Hamir and his friend Mahesh Chauhan alias Bhado, who were both drunk, abducted them.
After Chandni resisted, Hamir slit her throat with a knife and killed her. Later, they raped Chandni`s female friend before fleeing the spot.
The accused remained untraceable until May 2009, when
Mahesh was arrested by the Junagadh Local Crime Branch (LCB) and his interrogation led them to Hamir who was arrested from Mumbai.
Repercussions of the incident was such that the Koli and Khant communities had launched state-wide agitations after the incident, since Chandni was a Koli, while her female friend belonged to the Khant community.
Koli leader and Gujarat BJP legislator Parshottam Solanki had even submitted his resignation as a minister but was later persuaded to withdraw it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22