Gujarat HC denies post-Godhra riot accused access to SIT report
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court has denied
an accused in a post-Godhra riot case access to report of the
Special Investigating Team (SIT) submitted before the Supreme
The order was passed by Justice Akil Kureshi recently on
a petition by Kanti Patel, an accused in the Sardarpura riot
case in Vijapur taluka of Mehsana district where 33 persons
were killed in 2002.
Patel had approached the High Court after a special court
hearing the case rejected his plea for obtaining a copy of the
report that SIT had placed before the apex court for the
purpose of "fair trial" and to prepare his defence.
"The report was meant to be highly confidential in
nature. The apex court directed the state machinery to submit
such a report in a sealed cover. Access thereto was not
provided to all parties," the court said.
It said the SIT report was not meant to be part of the
investigation and was of administrative and supervisory
"No part of the report is admittedly sought to be relied
on by the prosecution in proving the charges against the
petitioner or any of the accused," the court observed.
"As held by the apex court (in case of Sunita Devi vs
state of Bihar), accused is not entitled to copies of
supervisory notes," it said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!