Gujarat HC denies post-Godhra riot accused access to SIT report
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court has denied
an accused in a post-Godhra riot case access to report of the
Special Investigating Team (SIT) submitted before the Supreme
The order was passed by Justice Akil Kureshi recently on
a petition by Kanti Patel, an accused in the Sardarpura riot
case in Vijapur taluka of Mehsana district where 33 persons
were killed in 2002.
Patel had approached the High Court after a special court
hearing the case rejected his plea for obtaining a copy of the
report that SIT had placed before the apex court for the
purpose of "fair trial" and to prepare his defence.
"The report was meant to be highly confidential in
nature. The apex court directed the state machinery to submit
such a report in a sealed cover. Access thereto was not
provided to all parties," the court said.
It said the SIT report was not meant to be part of the
investigation and was of administrative and supervisory
"No part of the report is admittedly sought to be relied
on by the prosecution in proving the charges against the
petitioner or any of the accused," the court observed.
"As held by the apex court (in case of Sunita Devi vs
state of Bihar), accused is not entitled to copies of
supervisory notes," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan