Gujarat HC denies post-Godhra riot accused access to SIT report
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court has denied
an accused in a post-Godhra riot case access to report of the
Special Investigating Team (SIT) submitted before the Supreme
The order was passed by Justice Akil Kureshi recently on
a petition by Kanti Patel, an accused in the Sardarpura riot
case in Vijapur taluka of Mehsana district where 33 persons
were killed in 2002.
Patel had approached the High Court after a special court
hearing the case rejected his plea for obtaining a copy of the
report that SIT had placed before the apex court for the
purpose of "fair trial" and to prepare his defence.
"The report was meant to be highly confidential in
nature. The apex court directed the state machinery to submit
such a report in a sealed cover. Access thereto was not
provided to all parties," the court said.
It said the SIT report was not meant to be part of the
investigation and was of administrative and supervisory
"No part of the report is admittedly sought to be relied
on by the prosecution in proving the charges against the
petitioner or any of the accused," the court observed.
"As held by the apex court (in case of Sunita Devi vs
state of Bihar), accused is not entitled to copies of
supervisory notes," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez