Gujarat HC grants temporary bail to Babu Bajrangi
Ahmedabad: Gujarat High Court on Thursday granted two days temporary bail to Babu Bajrangi, sentenced to life imprisonment in the 2002 Naroda Patiya riot case, as his wife is undergoing a surgery.
A division bench of Justices M R Shah and S H Vora allowed Bajrangi`s plea, filed and argued by his son Viren Babubhai Patel. He would be out of jail on April 20 and 21.
A trial court had last year held Bajrangi guilty as the main conspirator of Naroda Patiya massacre, in which 97 people were killed.
Bajrangi`s application said his wife Meena Patel had been diagnosed with a tumour in the uterus and she required a very risky operation which needed Bajrangi`s signature of consent.
The prosecution opposed it, saying that other relatives could sign the consent form, but the court granted Bajrangi the relief. He would have a police escort, expenses of which he would bear.
His earlier plea in this regard had been rejected because the medical certificate submitted did not mention the date of the surgery.
Recently, the Gujarat state legal department approved the recommendation of the SIT to file an appeal in the High Court seeking death sentences to 10 convicts including former minister Maya Kodnani and Bajrangi in the case.
The HC bench today also granted temporary bail for a week to Pintu Jadeja, another convict of the Naroda Patiya case, who has got 24 years sentence. He had sought temporary release to arrange money for the treatment of his nephew, who is suffering from a serious malaria infection.
He has been asked to produce surety of Rs 10,000 and be present everyday at Naroda Police station from April 19 to 25, while on temporary bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!