Gujarat: HC notice to state over land allocation in Kutch
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Friday issued notice to the state government and Jindal Group company Shree Saw Pipe Limited over a public interest litigation seeking cancellation of a land allocation in Kutch district in the aftermath of the 2001 earthquake.
The division bench of Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice J B Pardiwala sought a reply within two weeks while admitting the PIL filed by residents of Samaghoga village in Kutch.
The petition seeks to take back 50,000 square mt of land near the village, allotted to the company by the then Bhuj district collector Pradeep Sharma.
"The state government has lodged an FIR against Sharma for illegal allocation of land. The case has reached the Supreme Court and the illegality has been verified there," petitioner`s lawyer Hetvi Sancheti argued.
"When the government held that there was a gross irregularity, it must cancel the allocation," the PIL says.
"Once the government claims that six orders for land allocation passed by Sharma were not legal, the authorities must annul the allocation orders and the land has to be taken back from the company," advocate Sancheti argued.
The bench kept the matter for further hearing on March 14.
Sharma, a 1984-batch IAS officer, is facing six criminal cases in Gujarat. He has claimed that he is being victimised by the BJP government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day