Gujarat HC refuses to order Godhra panel to summon Modi
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Friday refused to direct the Nanavati Commission, which is probing the post-Godhra riots, to summon Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
A division bench of Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice JB Pardiwala refused to interfere in the proceedings of the commission.
The court`s ruling came on a PIL filed by suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt and Gujarat chapter of People`s Union of Civil Liberty.
Apart from demanding that Modi be summoned by Nanavati commission, the petitioners had also demanded that the probe panel should be directed to submit its final report not to the Chief Minister but to the Governor. The HC rejected this demand too.
However, while disposing of the PIL, the division bench directed the state government to submit the documents concerning the 2002 riots, as sought by Bhatt, to the commission within a week. It said that commission will allow Bhatt to inspect them.
The suspended IPS officer would be, then, allowed to file an affidavit on the basis of inspection of the documents before the commission.
The Nanavati panel was appointed by the government to probe the Godhra train burning and the subsequent communal riots. The scope of inquiry was later expanded to cover "the role and conduct" of the chief minister and other Minister(s), etc.
Citing this expansion, the PIL had demanded that Modi must be examined by the commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof