Gujarat HC refuses to order Godhra panel to summon Modi
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Friday refused to direct the Nanavati Commission, which is probing the post-Godhra riots, to summon Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
A division bench of Chief Justice Bhaskar Bhattacharya and Justice JB Pardiwala refused to interfere in the proceedings of the commission.
The court`s ruling came on a PIL filed by suspended IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt and Gujarat chapter of People`s Union of Civil Liberty.
Apart from demanding that Modi be summoned by Nanavati commission, the petitioners had also demanded that the probe panel should be directed to submit its final report not to the Chief Minister but to the Governor. The HC rejected this demand too.
However, while disposing of the PIL, the division bench directed the state government to submit the documents concerning the 2002 riots, as sought by Bhatt, to the commission within a week. It said that commission will allow Bhatt to inspect them.
The suspended IPS officer would be, then, allowed to file an affidavit on the basis of inspection of the documents before the commission.
The Nanavati panel was appointed by the government to probe the Godhra train burning and the subsequent communal riots. The scope of inquiry was later expanded to cover "the role and conduct" of the chief minister and other Minister(s), etc.
Citing this expansion, the PIL had demanded that Modi must be examined by the commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden