Gujarat HC reserves order on summoning Narendra Modi
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Friday
reserved its order on whether Chief Minister Narendra Modi
should be summoned or not by a panel probing the 2002
A Division Bench of Chief Justice SJ Mukhopadhaya and
Justice Akil Kureshi reserved the ruling after the state
Government completed its argument where it questioned the
locus standi of Jan Sangharsh Manch (JSM), the NGO which had
sought questioning of Modi, in the matter.
JSM had approached the High Court last year seeking
quashing of the Nanavati Commission`s order of not summoning
Modi, and issuing summons to the BJP leader and three others
for cross-examination with regard to the communal riots.
Today, Advocate General Kamal Trivedi argued that JSM,
which represents some of the riot victims, had no locus standi
to seek summoning of Modi. He demanded that the NGO`s plea be
rejected by the court.
JSM counsel Mukul Sinha submitted that the State had
no right to oppose his plea as it was the Government which
amended the terms of reference of the Commission in June 2002
for inquiring into the role and conduct of the Chief Minister
and other Ministers with regard to the riots.
Therefore, Sinha, submitted, it was absolutely
necessary to summon the Chief Minister and others.
During an earlier hearing, Sinha had maintained that
by not summoning the CM and other Ministers, the entire
amended terms of reference would be nullified.
He had argued that summoning of Modi and others was
required for collecting evidence with regard to the Godhra
train burning incident and subsequent riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands