Gujarat HC stays probe against IPS officer
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court Friday stayed the inquiry against IPS officer Satish Verma, who was part of an SIT formed by the court to investigate Ishrat Jahan encounter before the case was handed over to CBI, and slammed the State Government over its action.
An FIR was filed against the 1986-batch IPS officer after he was accused of misbehavior and issuing threats. This prompted the State Government to order an inquiry.
Coming down heavily on the Government, a Division Bench of Justices Jayant Patel and Abhilasha Kumari observed that, "it’s highly improper on part the the State to continue this investigation. You should have come to this court before initiating any procedure on this FIR."
"While transferring the investigation (in Ishrat case) to CBI on 1-12-2011, we had specifically restrained State Government from taking action against any member of SIT without prior approval of this court," the Bench noted.
Verma, who is facing the Government heat in another encounter case, has filed a petition before the HC alleging "systematic and willful acts by the Government with ulterior designs of influencing the investigations in Ishrat Jahan encounter case by pretending to enquire into a false and coerced complaint."
On March 3, 2011 Verma, as a member of HC-appointed SIT, had seized the hard disk of a computer in Ahmedabad-based Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) as part of probe into June 15, 2004 police encounter of Ishrat, a Mumbai teenager, Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Kumar Pilla and two others near here.
B K Mistry, Assistant Director, FSL Ahmedabad, filed an FIR the next day against Verma and V R Toliya, a DySP who was Investigating Officer in SIT, accusing them of misbehaviour and threatening him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Half the town is gone, says Amatrice mayor as 6.2-magnitude earthquake strikes central Italy; toll rises to 14
- Katrina Kaif and Varun Dhawan to go dancing in 'ABCD 3'?
- Gadkari to meet FM Jaitley today for vehicle scrapping policy
- Hot scoop! THIS actress has replaced Alia Bhatt in Rohit Shetty's next?
- Argentina coach Edgardo Bauza keen on reducing Lionel Messi's workload