Gujarat HC stays probe against IPS officer
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court Friday stayed the inquiry against IPS officer Satish Verma, who was part of an SIT formed by the court to investigate Ishrat Jahan encounter before the case was handed over to CBI, and slammed the State Government over its action.
An FIR was filed against the 1986-batch IPS officer after he was accused of misbehavior and issuing threats. This prompted the State Government to order an inquiry.
Coming down heavily on the Government, a Division Bench of Justices Jayant Patel and Abhilasha Kumari observed that, "it’s highly improper on part the the State to continue this investigation. You should have come to this court before initiating any procedure on this FIR."
"While transferring the investigation (in Ishrat case) to CBI on 1-12-2011, we had specifically restrained State Government from taking action against any member of SIT without prior approval of this court," the Bench noted.
Verma, who is facing the Government heat in another encounter case, has filed a petition before the HC alleging "systematic and willful acts by the Government with ulterior designs of influencing the investigations in Ishrat Jahan encounter case by pretending to enquire into a false and coerced complaint."
On March 3, 2011 Verma, as a member of HC-appointed SIT, had seized the hard disk of a computer in Ahmedabad-based Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) as part of probe into June 15, 2004 police encounter of Ishrat, a Mumbai teenager, Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Kumar Pilla and two others near here.
B K Mistry, Assistant Director, FSL Ahmedabad, filed an FIR the next day against Verma and V R Toliya, a DySP who was Investigating Officer in SIT, accusing them of misbehaviour and threatening him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH