Gujarat HC stays probe against IPS officer
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court Friday stayed the inquiry against IPS officer Satish Verma, who was part of an SIT formed by the court to investigate Ishrat Jahan encounter before the case was handed over to CBI, and slammed the State Government over its action.
An FIR was filed against the 1986-batch IPS officer after he was accused of misbehavior and issuing threats. This prompted the State Government to order an inquiry.
Coming down heavily on the Government, a Division Bench of Justices Jayant Patel and Abhilasha Kumari observed that, "it’s highly improper on part the the State to continue this investigation. You should have come to this court before initiating any procedure on this FIR."
"While transferring the investigation (in Ishrat case) to CBI on 1-12-2011, we had specifically restrained State Government from taking action against any member of SIT without prior approval of this court," the Bench noted.
Verma, who is facing the Government heat in another encounter case, has filed a petition before the HC alleging "systematic and willful acts by the Government with ulterior designs of influencing the investigations in Ishrat Jahan encounter case by pretending to enquire into a false and coerced complaint."
On March 3, 2011 Verma, as a member of HC-appointed SIT, had seized the hard disk of a computer in Ahmedabad-based Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) as part of probe into June 15, 2004 police encounter of Ishrat, a Mumbai teenager, Javed Sheikh alias Pranesh Kumar Pilla and two others near here.
B K Mistry, Assistant Director, FSL Ahmedabad, filed an FIR the next day against Verma and V R Toliya, a DySP who was Investigating Officer in SIT, accusing them of misbehaviour and threatening him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal