Gujarat HC to decide on Lokayukta appointment
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court is expected to take up for hearing, Wednesday, a petition filed by the state government challenging the appointment of Lokayukta by the Governor without consulting the Chief Minister.
On Aug 25, Governor Kamla Beniwal, bypassing the state government, appointed Justice (Retd) RA Mehta as the state Lokayukta.
State government’s petition argues that, constitutionally, the Governor herself cannot take decision on appointment of Lokayukta nor can she work independent of the council of ministers headed by the Chief Minister on the issue.
Meanwhile, the Centre seems to be coming around to considering BJP`s demand for removal of Gujarat Lokayukta.
The BJP had disrupted Parliament for three consecutive days to protest against the "unconstitutional" appointment of Mehta as Lokayukta. BJP has alleged that Mehta is an activist who has spoken often against the Modi government.
A delegation of BJP MPs had met President Pratibha Patil last week and submitted a memorandum seeking Beniwal`s recall.
Sources said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has himself conveyed to BJP Parliamentary Party Chief LK Advani, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and her Rajya Sabha counterpart Arun Jaitley that the government is mulling over removing Mehta from the Lokayukta post.
While Singh and Leader of the House in Lok Sabha and Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, among others are in agreement that Governor Beniwal should not have appointed the Lokayukta without taking Modi into confidence, the Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee is against Mehta`s removal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally
- Will continue to be your 'pradhan sevak', says PM Modi in UP rally - Part II
- After Arvind Kejriwal, Sonia Gandhi meets 13-year-old Delhi rape victim at AIIMS
- Randeep Hooda’s dream girl is beautiful – See pic
- Chemical factory blast sends shock waves in Dombivali near Mumbai; 3 dead, over 100 injured
- HC stays Haryana government's decision to grant 10% reservation to Jats, 5 other communities
- Unveiled! First teaser poster of Riteish Deshmukh, Nargis Fakhri's 'Banjo' – View pic