Gujarat HC transfers Ishrat Jahan case to SIT
New Delhi: The Gujarat High Court on Thursday ordered the transfer of Ishrat Jahan
encounter case probe to Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) headed by former CBI director RK Raghavan.
The division bench of Justice Jayant Patel and Justice Abhilasha Kumari, while transferring the case to SIT, also dismissed a petition filed by Ishrat`s mother Shamima Kausar`s seeking the transfer of the case to CBI.
The court further directed the state government to issue notifications to the concerned officials to facilitate the SIT investigation into the case.
The state government was also ordered to provide certain details including the investigation report submitted by investigation officer Parixita Gurjar in the case.
The court has also directed the government to furnish the report of the inquiry carried out by the Additional Director General of Police, CID (IB) J Mahapatra in the case.
It also asked state government to provide lists of IPS officers in the Special Investigation Team (SIT) formed by SC to probe into some of the post-Godhra 2002 riots cases, names of CBI officers probing Sohrabuddin encounter case, list of top three officers of ATS and CID officers probing the Tulsiram Prajapati fake encounter case.
On July 23, the Gujarat High Court had reserved its order till today after hearing arguments for over a week.
Ishrat was gunned down by Gujarat police along with Javed Ghulam Sheikh alias Pranesh Kumar Pillai, Amjad Ali alias Rajkumar Akbar Ali Rana and Jisan Johar Abdul Gani in Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004.
While the state government had opposed inclusion of any CBI officer in the proposed SIT, parents of the deceased insisted on CBI probe and objected to the case being probed by the Gujarat police.
Petitioners, during the arguments, had highlighted that one of the members of present SIT, Mohan Jha is additional in-charge of the city crime branch, against whom the investigation is to take place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters