Gujarat HC transfers Ishrat Jahan case to SIT
New Delhi: The Gujarat High Court on Thursday ordered the transfer of Ishrat Jahan
encounter case probe to Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) headed by former CBI director RK Raghavan.
The division bench of Justice Jayant Patel and Justice Abhilasha Kumari, while transferring the case to SIT, also dismissed a petition filed by Ishrat`s mother Shamima Kausar`s seeking the transfer of the case to CBI.
The court further directed the state government to issue notifications to the concerned officials to facilitate the SIT investigation into the case.
The state government was also ordered to provide certain details including the investigation report submitted by investigation officer Parixita Gurjar in the case.
The court has also directed the government to furnish the report of the inquiry carried out by the Additional Director General of Police, CID (IB) J Mahapatra in the case.
It also asked state government to provide lists of IPS officers in the Special Investigation Team (SIT) formed by SC to probe into some of the post-Godhra 2002 riots cases, names of CBI officers probing Sohrabuddin encounter case, list of top three officers of ATS and CID officers probing the Tulsiram Prajapati fake encounter case.
On July 23, the Gujarat High Court had reserved its order till today after hearing arguments for over a week.
Ishrat was gunned down by Gujarat police along with Javed Ghulam Sheikh alias Pranesh Kumar Pillai, Amjad Ali alias Rajkumar Akbar Ali Rana and Jisan Johar Abdul Gani in Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004.
While the state government had opposed inclusion of any CBI officer in the proposed SIT, parents of the deceased insisted on CBI probe and objected to the case being probed by the Gujarat police.
Petitioners, during the arguments, had highlighted that one of the members of present SIT, Mohan Jha is additional in-charge of the city crime branch, against whom the investigation is to take place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3