Gujarat HC transfers Ishrat Jahan case to SIT
New Delhi: The Gujarat High Court on Thursday ordered the transfer of Ishrat Jahan
encounter case probe to Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) headed by former CBI director RK Raghavan.
The division bench of Justice Jayant Patel and Justice Abhilasha Kumari, while transferring the case to SIT, also dismissed a petition filed by Ishrat`s mother Shamima Kausar`s seeking the transfer of the case to CBI.
The court further directed the state government to issue notifications to the concerned officials to facilitate the SIT investigation into the case.
The state government was also ordered to provide certain details including the investigation report submitted by investigation officer Parixita Gurjar in the case.
The court has also directed the government to furnish the report of the inquiry carried out by the Additional Director General of Police, CID (IB) J Mahapatra in the case.
It also asked state government to provide lists of IPS officers in the Special Investigation Team (SIT) formed by SC to probe into some of the post-Godhra 2002 riots cases, names of CBI officers probing Sohrabuddin encounter case, list of top three officers of ATS and CID officers probing the Tulsiram Prajapati fake encounter case.
On July 23, the Gujarat High Court had reserved its order till today after hearing arguments for over a week.
Ishrat was gunned down by Gujarat police along with Javed Ghulam Sheikh alias Pranesh Kumar Pillai, Amjad Ali alias Rajkumar Akbar Ali Rana and Jisan Johar Abdul Gani in Ahmedabad on June 15, 2004.
While the state government had opposed inclusion of any CBI officer in the proposed SIT, parents of the deceased insisted on CBI probe and objected to the case being probed by the Gujarat police.
Petitioners, during the arguments, had highlighted that one of the members of present SIT, Mohan Jha is additional in-charge of the city crime branch, against whom the investigation is to take place.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- Good rains to damp agricultural inflation, support Aug 9 RBI rate cut: BofA
- French Open: Sania Mirza-Martina Hingis pair advance to second round
- Nextbit Robin launched in India at Rs 19,999; comes with 100GB cloud storage
- Faint-hearted? Don't watch this spine-chilling road accident video
- Volkswagen rolls out first Ameo from Pune plant