Gujarat hiding facts about water scarcity, says Congress MLA
Ahmedabad: Congress MLA from Siddhpur constituency Balwantsinh Rajput today alleged that the Gujarat government was hiding crucial facts from the people about the water scarcity in the state. In a press release issued today, Rajput claimed that the Gujarat government was not serious about solving the water scarcity problem, particularly in Kutchh, North Gujarat and Saurashtra region.
"Through a letter sent to Gujarat government on May 22, the drinking water and sanitation ministry of India sought a report about water scarcity in Gujarat. However, the Gujarat government didn`t gave a factual report to the Centre," he said.
Rajput alleged that the Gujarat government failed to utilise grants alloted by the central government for water supply.
"The Central government alloted Rs 406 crore to Gujarat under eight different schemes to provide water. However, the state government used only Rs 12.76 crore. Out of Rs 85.44 crore alloted by state government as non-planned grant for that purpose, they utilised only Rs 28.39 crore," Rajput alleged, claiming that such ineffective measures led to acute water shortage in the state.
"Gujarat government was not taking any action to provide adequate water to scarcity hit areas of Kutchh, Saurashtra and north Gujarat region. Out of 36 schemes related to water resources, 35 were yet to be completed, which led to scarcity of water," claimed Rajput, who is also the chief whip of the Congress party in Gujarat assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Jallikattu protests continue in Tamil Nadu, sea of protesters camp on Marina beach