Gujarat hiding facts about water scarcity, says Congress MLA
Ahmedabad: Congress MLA from Siddhpur constituency Balwantsinh Rajput today alleged that the Gujarat government was hiding crucial facts from the people about the water scarcity in the state. In a press release issued today, Rajput claimed that the Gujarat government was not serious about solving the water scarcity problem, particularly in Kutchh, North Gujarat and Saurashtra region.
"Through a letter sent to Gujarat government on May 22, the drinking water and sanitation ministry of India sought a report about water scarcity in Gujarat. However, the Gujarat government didn`t gave a factual report to the Centre," he said.
Rajput alleged that the Gujarat government failed to utilise grants alloted by the central government for water supply.
"The Central government alloted Rs 406 crore to Gujarat under eight different schemes to provide water. However, the state government used only Rs 12.76 crore. Out of Rs 85.44 crore alloted by state government as non-planned grant for that purpose, they utilised only Rs 28.39 crore," Rajput alleged, claiming that such ineffective measures led to acute water shortage in the state.
"Gujarat government was not taking any action to provide adequate water to scarcity hit areas of Kutchh, Saurashtra and north Gujarat region. Out of 36 schemes related to water resources, 35 were yet to be completed, which led to scarcity of water," claimed Rajput, who is also the chief whip of the Congress party in Gujarat assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you