Gujarat High Court reserves order in Naroda Gaam rioting case
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Monday reserved its order on an application by former state minister Maya Kodnani, challenging the order of the lower court judge who refused to recuse herself from the Naroda Gaam rioting case of 2002.
Kodnani, Babu Bajrangi and Kishan Korani, who are accused in the case along with 79 others, challenged the order of designated judge Jyotsna Yagnik, who had rejected their similar applications requesting her to recuse or excuse herself from hearing the case.
In their applications, the three accused expressed apprehensions that they would be deprived of a fair and impartial trial if the same judge, who had pronounced them guilty in the Naroda Patiya case, would also conduct the trial of the Naroda Gaam case.
After hearing all the parties today, Justice K M Thakar reserved his order on these petitions.
Last August, Justice Yagnik, while pronouncing her judgment in the Naroda Patiya case, held Kodnani, Bajrangi and Korani guilty and sentenced them to life imprisonment, besides 28 other accused.
On November 30, 2011 the Chief Justice of Gujarat High Court issued a notification appointing her as designated judge for the Naroda Gaam case.
During the widespread post-Godhra riots, 11 people from the minority community were allegedly killed in Naroda Gaam area of the city.
In 2008, the Supreme Court had appointed a Special Investigation Team (SIT) and later assigned the trial against total 82 accused in this case to a special court.
"We have reasonable apprehensions that if the same judge presides over this case, it will deprive us of a fair and impartial trial, due to pre-conceived notions, pre- determination and pre-disposition," advocate Nirupam Nanavati who appeared for all three accused had argued.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP triumphs across state; hung verdict in BMC elections
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test