Gujarat High Court reserves order in Naroda Gaam rioting case
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat High Court on Monday reserved its order on an application by former state minister Maya Kodnani, challenging the order of the lower court judge who refused to recuse herself from the Naroda Gaam rioting case of 2002.
Kodnani, Babu Bajrangi and Kishan Korani, who are accused in the case along with 79 others, challenged the order of designated judge Jyotsna Yagnik, who had rejected their similar applications requesting her to recuse or excuse herself from hearing the case.
In their applications, the three accused expressed apprehensions that they would be deprived of a fair and impartial trial if the same judge, who had pronounced them guilty in the Naroda Patiya case, would also conduct the trial of the Naroda Gaam case.
After hearing all the parties today, Justice K M Thakar reserved his order on these petitions.
Last August, Justice Yagnik, while pronouncing her judgment in the Naroda Patiya case, held Kodnani, Bajrangi and Korani guilty and sentenced them to life imprisonment, besides 28 other accused.
On November 30, 2011 the Chief Justice of Gujarat High Court issued a notification appointing her as designated judge for the Naroda Gaam case.
During the widespread post-Godhra riots, 11 people from the minority community were allegedly killed in Naroda Gaam area of the city.
In 2008, the Supreme Court had appointed a Special Investigation Team (SIT) and later assigned the trial against total 82 accused in this case to a special court.
"We have reasonable apprehensions that if the same judge presides over this case, it will deprive us of a fair and impartial trial, due to pre-conceived notions, pre- determination and pre-disposition," advocate Nirupam Nanavati who appeared for all three accused had argued.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow