Gujarat is No. 1 in implementing MNREGA: Gujarat minister
Gandhinagar: Gujarat`s Rural Development Minister Jayanti Kavadiya on Tuesday claimed that the state was number one in India in implementing the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MNREGA).
During his speech in the Assembly while seeking the House`s approval for budgetary allocations to his department, Kavadiya claimed that the Gujarat government had alloted Rs 69 crores for MNREGA for the year 2014-15, while the Centre is expected to give Rs 626 crore for the same.
"In the previous year, Gujarat remained number one across India for completing 77 per cent of total work undertaken for MNREGA in the state. In addition, participation of Scheduled Tribes (ST) under MNREGA was 41 per cent in Gujarat, which is 24 per cent more than the national average of just 17 per cent," said the Minister of State for Panchayat, Rural Housing and Rural Development in his speech in the Assembly.
Kavadiya gave details about several schemes and projects to be implemented in the current year, including the `Smart E-Gram Centre`, an upgrade of the already running `E-Gram Centres`, where several village panchayat offices are connected with broadband to provide different certificates and land records to villagers through online government portals.
"At present, 13,685 villages are already connected with a 96 mbps speed Internet connection. In this year, we plan to connect all those villages with more than a 5,000 population, using cable network to upgrade E-Gram Centres into Smart E-Gram centres," Kavadiya said.
"This initiative will enable kiosk-based banking at their doorstep. After the successful implementation of this scheme, Gujarat will become number one in connecting each and every village through the Internet" Kavadiya claimed in the House.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Asian markets extend gains on Brexit stimulus bets
- Check rajeduboard.nic.in for RBSE Rajasthan 8th Result 2016: BSER Ajmer 8th Board Result, Rajasthan 8th Class Results 2016
- CCPA to meet today to decide Monsoon Session dates
- 'Rustom' POSTER: Akshay Kumar's intense act will leave you asking for more!
- Disappointment for Ranbir Kapoor; Sanjay Dutt biopic delayed? Details inside