Gujarat jail tunnel digging case: Probe panel submits report
Ahmedabad: A three-member high-powered committee which probed a failed jail break bid in Sabarmati Central Jail by digging a tunnel, submitted its report to the Gujarat Home Department on Friday, a top official said.
"A report has been submitted by the committee on the tunnel digging case," Principal Home Secretary SK Nanda told PTI today.
"Though I have not gone through the report, the probe focused on negligence of prison authorities, as terrorists were able to dig a 214-ft tunnel without their knowledge," Nanda said.
On February 10, jail authorities had stumbled upon a 214-ft long tunnel allegedly dug by 14 of the Ahmedabad serial bomb blasts accused inside Barrack Number 4, known as `Chhota Chakkar`, of the Sabarmati Central Jail, to escape.
Sensing the gravity of the incident, the Gujarat government immediately handed over the investigation to the Detection of Crime Branch (DCB) Ahmedabad and at the same time formed a three-member state-level committee to probe the incident and fix accountability.
The committee was headed by senior IAS officer MS Dagur, IPS officer Shivanand Jha and state Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) director JR Vyas.
It studied various reports submitted to it by the jail administration, police, FSL and Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) in connection with the tunnel digging case, a home department source said.
After the revelation of the tunnel, the state government suspended two jail officers. The crime branch, which is investigating the case, has carried out custodial interrogation of 14 of those involved in the serial bomb blasts case.
On July 26, 2008, almost 20 simultaneous bomb blasts across the city had killed 57 people.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India