Gujarat jail tunnel digging case: Probe panel submits report
Ahmedabad: A three-member high-powered committee which probed a failed jail break bid in Sabarmati Central Jail by digging a tunnel, submitted its report to the Gujarat Home Department on Friday, a top official said.
"A report has been submitted by the committee on the tunnel digging case," Principal Home Secretary SK Nanda told PTI today.
"Though I have not gone through the report, the probe focused on negligence of prison authorities, as terrorists were able to dig a 214-ft tunnel without their knowledge," Nanda said.
On February 10, jail authorities had stumbled upon a 214-ft long tunnel allegedly dug by 14 of the Ahmedabad serial bomb blasts accused inside Barrack Number 4, known as `Chhota Chakkar`, of the Sabarmati Central Jail, to escape.
Sensing the gravity of the incident, the Gujarat government immediately handed over the investigation to the Detection of Crime Branch (DCB) Ahmedabad and at the same time formed a three-member state-level committee to probe the incident and fix accountability.
The committee was headed by senior IAS officer MS Dagur, IPS officer Shivanand Jha and state Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) director JR Vyas.
It studied various reports submitted to it by the jail administration, police, FSL and Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) in connection with the tunnel digging case, a home department source said.
After the revelation of the tunnel, the state government suspended two jail officers. The crime branch, which is investigating the case, has carried out custodial interrogation of 14 of those involved in the serial bomb blasts case.
On July 26, 2008, almost 20 simultaneous bomb blasts across the city had killed 57 people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- DNA: How India became world's largest arms importer
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in 92 seats, BJP ahead in 73; counting underway
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Results 2017 LIVE: Mumbai Congress chief Sanjay Nirupam offers resignation; Shiv Sena ahead in BMC polls
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway