Gujarat keen to promote defence industry: Narendra Modi
Ahmedabad: Stating that Gujarat was keen to promote defence industry, Chief Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday invited private companies to set up their units in the state.
"Gujarat with good infrastructure is the best suited for the development of defence industry and we want to start in big way," he said.
He was speaking at a conference on "leveraging opportunities to create capabilities in Defence and Homeland security manufacturing," as part of the 6th Vibrant Gujarat Summit (VGS) here.
Observing that a state can also play an important role in setting up defence capabilities of the country, Modi said that his government was planning to formulate a policy in this regard.
"I think that those investors, industrialists who are active in defence manufacturing should be roped in. We should also turn ourselves towards SMEs, who can supply small defence parts," Modi said.
"As a state government, we want to take initiative. Currently, Gujarat government is active in this direction but I want to further push it," he stated.
"If a state government is ready to come forward in this direction and if you, companies active in defence production, are also willing to join hands by becoming partners, it will be the biggest service to the nation," he noted.
"Looking at the global scenario, I think those days are not far that our country would be able to supply defence material to smaller countries," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery