Gujarat Law Minister seen criticising courts
Ahmedabad: Gujarat Congress on Tuesday released a CD of a speech of state law minister Dilip Sanghani where he has criticised the courts for "interfering in transfers of officials and violating Constitution".
Congress said the minister`s utterances were not just irresponsible but a gross contempt of court and he should be dropped from the Cabinet.
"Under the Article 166 of the Constitution, it is the right of the state government where to post an officer and what work to assign to him. Courts have no right to interfere on this issue. I am telling this as a law minister," Sanghani was quoted as saying in a compact disc released by Leader of Opposition Shaktisinh Gohil.
"There are judgements in this regard... Even then courts interfere in the issue and violate the provisions of Constitution," Sanghani had further said in his speech given on June 2 at a function in Hapa town of Jamnagar district.
Gohil alleged, "The Law Minister has shown utter disregard for judiciary by making such a statement. Law Minister says courts needs to be reined in. The minister`s utterances are not just irresponsible but a gross contempt of court. Such remarks are an attack on judiciary and cannot be tolerated," Gohil said and sought to know whether the minister had taken sanction of chief minister Narendra Modi before making such a remark.
"Modi should immediately drop Sanghani from his cabinet and the government should initiate criminal action against him," Gohil demanded.
Responding to a query as to why he released the CD of Sanghani`s remark after almost one and half month, Gohil said that he could only recently procure the CD of the speech.
When asked whether Congress would file a contempt of court case against Sanghani in this regard, Gohil said, "Congress is not a party in this issue."
"If the law minister of Gujarat is severely disturbed by any verdict, he has the right to appeal but he does not have right to criticise the judiciary in this contemptuous manner".
The minister had made the controversial comments while addressing a rally of farmers with reference to action taken by the state government against certain businessmen.
The minister was not immediately available for his comments.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Apple cheers 2016 Pride celebration with a special rainbow Apple Watch!
- Heavy rainfall expected in Vidarbha, Telangana, Andhra; Monsoon set to enter Delhi, Punjab, Haryana
- India's spectrum proceeds seen way below target at $10-$12 bn: HSBC
- England's Roy Hodgson dismisses report of Wayne Rooney-Jamie Vardy rift
- China, Russia fed up with US hegemony: Chinese daily