Gujarat Legislative Assembly adjourned
Gandhinagar: The Gujarat Legislative Assembly was on Thursday adjourned for half an hour following ruckus in the House following allegations by Opposition Congress that a minister in the Modi government was indulging in corruption.
Congress alleged that Agriculture Minister Dileep Sanghani under the Gujarat Horticulture Mission had got approved green house project for 11 of his family members in Amreli district of the state.
Congress MLA Baku Unghag alleged in the House that those who recieved benefits were three brothers, their wives and other relatives of Sanghani, while none of the other applications from the district were approved.
According to the party, the total benefit under the scheme availed by family members of Sanghani was over Rs 32 crore. The allegations led to furore in the House.
Sanghani in his reply to question raised by Unghag, rejected the charges by saying that all the 11 applications of his family members were accepted under the Gujarat Horticulture Mission green house project at the district level but they were rejected when the applications reached the state government.
He went on to say that his family has not taken benefit of a single rupee under the national horticulture mission subsidy scheme.
The Congress however insisted that the application of Sanghani`s family members were rejected by the state government only after a RTI application revealed the `scam`.
Speaker Ganpat Vasava, then ordered the House to take up other business, but the Opposition MLAs insisted on further discussion on the issue.
However, the Speaker rejected their demand following which Congress MLAs began shouting slogan `Corrupt Minister should be removed`. When the Congress sloganeering continued the Speaker adjourned the house for half-an-hour.
Later Leader of Opposition Shaktisinh Gohil said that only after the RTI query, the state government rejected the application of 11 members of state agriculture minister`s family.
Though the applications remained rejected now, the corruption done by the state minister stands and he should be dropped from the Ministry, Gohil demanded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state