Gujarat Police chief dies while on vacation in Thailand
Phuket: Gujarat Police chief Amitabh Pathak died of a massive heart attack on Friday while holidaying with his family at this beach resort island in southern Thailand.
Pathak, 58, died while he was swimming, officials of the Indian Embassy in Bangkok told PTI.
He had gone to Thailand with his family for a vacation. He is survived by his wife, a son and a daughter.
Pathak`s body was sent to Krabi town, 60 km from Phuket. Indian Ambassador Anil Wadhwa said the mission is extending all assistance to Pathak`s family.
An IPS officer of the 1977 batch, Pathak, who hails from Uttar Pradesh, was appointed Director General of Police of Gujarat on February 27.
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi condoled Pathak`s death.
"In Amitabh Pathak, Gujarat has lost a dedicated officer. The state will always remember his services. Spoke to his son and offered condolences," Modi said in a post on Twitter.
On Independence Day, Pathak fainted while standing near the podium where the Chief Minister was delivering his speech at Bhuj in Gujarat. At the time, he said he suddenly felt fatigued and fell down.
In Ahmedabad, Home Secretary MD Antani told PTI that Pathak died while he was on vacation with his family in Thailand.
Before being appointed the DGP, Pathak was director of the Anti-Corruption Bureau. He became the state police chief after Chitranjan Singh retired.
Pathak, who was due to retire in 2015, last held an executive post as Ahmedabad Commissioner of Police in 2010.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!