Gujarat Police forced me to file anti-CBI affidavit: Witness
Ahmedabad: Azam Khan, a key witness in
the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case, has said he was
"forced" to sign on an affidavit against CBI by Gujarat
Police, which, he said, had "abducted" him last month.
Khan has made these charges in a statement which was
today submitted by CBI in the Gujarat High Court along with an
affidavit opposing the bail plea of former Gujarat Minister
Amit Shah, a key accused in the fake encounter case.
Last month, Khan filed an affidavit in the Special CBI
Court, alleging the Central agency had threatened him into
making false statements in the 5-year-old high profile case.
The witness` latest statement, submitted in the High
Court, was recorded under Section 164 (5) of Criminal
Procedure Code (CrPC) before a Judicial Magistrate First Class
at Vashi in Navi Mumbai, making it admissible in court as
In the statement, Khan has said Gujarat Police got him
to file the affidavit against CBI after "abducting" him. The
witness said he was abducted by 4-5 men from near Geeta Mandir
area of Ahmedabad on September 21 and taken to a hotel here.
He further said the abductors were Gujarat policemen
in civil dress, and threatened him for giving statement
against Abhay Chudasama, suspended IPS officer and one of the
accused in the case, before CBI.
Khan said he was given some typed pages and asked to
write identical content in his handwriting, and was "forced"
to sign on them.
Khan stated that the men who had allegedly abducted him
forced him to file the affidavit in the Special Court. He
further said a lawyer accompanied these men during filing of
The witness alleged he was kept under illegal custody by
the policemen and was also taken to Gandhinagar.
In Gandhinagar, they told Khan they have spoken to Shah
and would get him a plot in the state capital and help him
settle down along with family there, according to the
Khan said he managed to escape after winning confidence
of the policemen and reached Ahmedabad from Gandhinagar on
The witness said while making a statement before a
Magistrate early this year, he had said there was threat to
his life and should be given protection, but nothing was done.
Khan said in case something happens to him or his
family, then Gujarat Police and powerful politicians would be
responsible for it.
Khan is an accused in a firing case in the city and
reportedly works as a marble trader in his hometown Udaipur.
He was allegedly shot last month in Udaipur. The Udaipur
police, however, suspect Khan had staged the attack on himself
to grab attention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof