Gujarat Police forced me to file anti-CBI affidavit: Witness
Ahmedabad: Azam Khan, a key witness in
the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case, has said he was
"forced" to sign on an affidavit against CBI by Gujarat
Police, which, he said, had "abducted" him last month.
Khan has made these charges in a statement which was
today submitted by CBI in the Gujarat High Court along with an
affidavit opposing the bail plea of former Gujarat Minister
Amit Shah, a key accused in the fake encounter case.
Last month, Khan filed an affidavit in the Special CBI
Court, alleging the Central agency had threatened him into
making false statements in the 5-year-old high profile case.
The witness` latest statement, submitted in the High
Court, was recorded under Section 164 (5) of Criminal
Procedure Code (CrPC) before a Judicial Magistrate First Class
at Vashi in Navi Mumbai, making it admissible in court as
In the statement, Khan has said Gujarat Police got him
to file the affidavit against CBI after "abducting" him. The
witness said he was abducted by 4-5 men from near Geeta Mandir
area of Ahmedabad on September 21 and taken to a hotel here.
He further said the abductors were Gujarat policemen
in civil dress, and threatened him for giving statement
against Abhay Chudasama, suspended IPS officer and one of the
accused in the case, before CBI.
Khan said he was given some typed pages and asked to
write identical content in his handwriting, and was "forced"
to sign on them.
Khan stated that the men who had allegedly abducted him
forced him to file the affidavit in the Special Court. He
further said a lawyer accompanied these men during filing of
The witness alleged he was kept under illegal custody by
the policemen and was also taken to Gandhinagar.
In Gandhinagar, they told Khan they have spoken to Shah
and would get him a plot in the state capital and help him
settle down along with family there, according to the
Khan said he managed to escape after winning confidence
of the policemen and reached Ahmedabad from Gandhinagar on
The witness said while making a statement before a
Magistrate early this year, he had said there was threat to
his life and should be given protection, but nothing was done.
Khan said in case something happens to him or his
family, then Gujarat Police and powerful politicians would be
responsible for it.
Khan is an accused in a firing case in the city and
reportedly works as a marble trader in his hometown Udaipur.
He was allegedly shot last month in Udaipur. The Udaipur
police, however, suspect Khan had staged the attack on himself
to grab attention.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks