Gujarat police grill Asaram Bapu, victim also present
Zee Media Bureau
Ahmedabad: The Gujarat police are interrogating controversial godman Asaram Bapu in the sexual assault case lodged against him by two Surat-based sisters. The victim is also present and has reportedly brought more evidence to prove her allegation.
Asaram, 72, was brought to Ahmedabad on Monday evening on a transit remand from a court in Jodhpur where he was lodged in a jail since August in another sexual assault case involving minor daughter of one of his devotees.
A magisterial court in Gandhinagar had remanded him in four-day police custody on Tuesday.
The Surat police recently registered two complaints - one against Asaram and another against his son Narayan Sai - of rape, sexual assault, illegal confinement and other charges as alleged by the two sisters.
The elder of the sisters, in her complaint, had accused Asaram of repeated sexual assault between 1997 and 2006 when she had been living in his ashram on the outskirts of Ahmedabad city. The case against Asaram was transferred to Chandkheda police station as the incident took place in Ahmedabad.
The younger of the two sisters had filed a complaint against Narayan Sai, whose whereabouts are still not known, accusing him of repeated sexual assault between 2002 and 2005 when she was living in their Surat ashram.
(With PTI inputs)
- India's manufacturing sector growth falls to 4-month low in April
- Uttarakhand forest fire: Four arrested, says Prakash Javadekar
- SC rejects TRAI's plea on IUC case from Gujarat High Court to Delhi HC
- Chairman Hamid Ansari asks TMC MP Sukhendu Sekhar Roy to leave Rajya Sabha – Know why
- Maruti Suzuki sales jump 13% in April at 1,26,569 units