Gujarat Police on high alert from midnight
Ahmedabad: Gujarat police will be on alert across the state from this midnight in view of the Supreme Court paving the way for the Allahabad High Court to deliver its verdict in the Ayodhya title suit on Thursday.
"All police commissioners and district superintendents across the state have been directed to tighten security in their respective areas," ADGP (Law and Order), Sudhir Sinha
"Leaves of all police men have been cancelled and they have been asked to resume duty immediately," Sinha said. "Additional police forces including Rapid Action Force
and State Reserve Police have been deployed in major cities especially in the sensitive areas," he said, adding that tight security arrangements have been made to ensure peace and communal harmony.
Ahmedabad Joint Commissioner of Police (JCP) Satish Sharma said 20 companies (2,000 personnel) of State Reserve Police (SRP), 400 jawans of Border Wing Jawans, 100 men of Rapid Action Force and 18 mobile Police control room (PCR) vans have been deployed in the city.
Besides, three Quick Response Teams (QRTs) comprising trained commandos would be deployed, he said. Policemen across Ahmedabad have been equipped with automatic weapons, Sharma said, adding that more force was deployed in sensitive areas like Dariyapur, Shahpur, Kalupur and Bapunagar in the city.
Besides, officers of the city crime branch and special branch would be moving around sensitive areas in plain clothes, he said. Sharma said they have held meetings with leaders of both the communities in the traditionally sensitive areas. "They have assured us full cooperation and support to maintain peace and communal harmony in the city," he added.
The police also appealed to people not to believe in rumours and the local media has also been asked to be cautious while reporting sensitive issues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM