Gujarat probes shooting of inspector by officer
Ahmedabad: A probe has begun into an incident where a senior police officer shot an anti-terrorist squad (ATS) inspector during a mock drill in Surat last month, though the state Home Ministry had termed it an "accident" at that time.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Subhash Trivedi Friday handed over his service weapon to DR Patel, another deputy commissioner, who is conducting the enquiry.
The weapon is being sent to the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) here for ballistic tests.
ATS inspector Shabbir Ali Saiyed was playing the role of a terrorist during a mock drill Feb 24 when he was hit by a bullet fired by DCP Trivedi who was leading one of the "rescue" teams.
Saiyed is undergoing treatment at a Surat hospital.
Minister of State for Home Amit Shah, while announcing an inquiry into the incident in the ongoing assembly session, termed it an "accident".
Patel started the inquiry into the incident and recorded statements of police officers and some airport officials who were present at the spot during the time of incident.
Asked for his comments Saturday, Patel said they would await the forensic report before saying anything on the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy? Part II
- World's largest aircraft, Airlander 10, crashes during 2nd test flight - Watch
- Reliance Jio gets aggressive; partners Samsung, Micromax and others for free voice, data service
- Zeta eases retail payment further with NFC-enabled super tag
- UP polls: Congress main agenda is fighting corruption, not political parties: Raj Babbar
- Himachal Pradesh CM's wife to be further quizzed in PMLA case: ED to Delhi HC