Gujarat riots: Court asks SIT to probe allegations against Teesta
Ahmedabad: A special court, hearing the 2002
Gulburg society riot case, today asked the Special
Investigation Team to probe the allegation by Rais Khan,
former coordinator of NGO Center for Justice and Peace (CJP),
against social activist Teesta Setalvad.
The order was passed by designated judge B U Joshi, after
Khan filed an affidavit saying he should be examined as a
witness. Khan claimed that he could throw light on some facts
of the case on how the witnesses were "tutored, cheated and
made to sign false affidavits" by Setalvad who headed the NGO.
Yesterday, Khan filed a similar application in the 2002
Naroda gam riot case.
The court asked the Supreme Court-appointed SIT, probing
the riot cases, to record statement of Khan on the affidavits,
applications and statements of witnesses in the Gulburg case.
It also asked SIT to investigate Khan`s statement and
submit report in court by November 18.
The court said at a time when witnesses related to the
Gulburg case have been examined and cross-examined at length,
if somebody wanted to give more evidence, it should be taken
into consideration as it could help in deciding the case.
In his application, Khan said, "I am an important link
which can throw light on how the victims and witnesses were
tutored, cheated and made to sign false affidavits by Teesta
Setalvad in the name of `interest of community`".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video