Gujarat riots: Court asks SIT to probe allegations against Teesta
Ahmedabad: A special court, hearing the 2002
Gulburg society riot case, today asked the Special
Investigation Team to probe the allegation by Rais Khan,
former coordinator of NGO Center for Justice and Peace (CJP),
against social activist Teesta Setalvad.
The order was passed by designated judge B U Joshi, after
Khan filed an affidavit saying he should be examined as a
witness. Khan claimed that he could throw light on some facts
of the case on how the witnesses were "tutored, cheated and
made to sign false affidavits" by Setalvad who headed the NGO.
Yesterday, Khan filed a similar application in the 2002
Naroda gam riot case.
The court asked the Supreme Court-appointed SIT, probing
the riot cases, to record statement of Khan on the affidavits,
applications and statements of witnesses in the Gulburg case.
It also asked SIT to investigate Khan`s statement and
submit report in court by November 18.
The court said at a time when witnesses related to the
Gulburg case have been examined and cross-examined at length,
if somebody wanted to give more evidence, it should be taken
into consideration as it could help in deciding the case.
In his application, Khan said, "I am an important link
which can throw light on how the victims and witnesses were
tutored, cheated and made to sign false affidavits by Teesta
Setalvad in the name of `interest of community`".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery