Gujarat riots: Nalini Bhatt to appear before SIT today
Ahmedabad: Former Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) general secretary Nalin Bhatt has been summoned by the Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) for questioning in connection with the 2002 communal riots in Gulberg society.
Bhatt is to appear before the panel Saturday in connection with the Gulberg society massacre in which former Congress MP Ehsan Jaffri and many others were killed. On Friday, the SIT had issued summons to Chief Minister Narendra Modi to present himself before the panel on March 21.
Bhatt, who quit the BJP following differences with Narendra Modi, figures in the petition filed by Zakia Jaffri, wife of Ehsan Jaffri, in the Supreme Court.
The former BJP leader had also filed a submission before the Nanavati Shah commission probing the Godhra train carnage and the statewide communal riots that followed thereafter.
Bhatt said Saturday that he would present himself before the SIT.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers