Gujarat riots: Nalini Bhatt to appear before SIT today
Ahmedabad: Former Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) general secretary Nalin Bhatt has been summoned by the Supreme Court-appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) for questioning in connection with the 2002 communal riots in Gulberg society.
Bhatt is to appear before the panel Saturday in connection with the Gulberg society massacre in which former Congress MP Ehsan Jaffri and many others were killed. On Friday, the SIT had issued summons to Chief Minister Narendra Modi to present himself before the panel on March 21.
Bhatt, who quit the BJP following differences with Narendra Modi, figures in the petition filed by Zakia Jaffri, wife of Ehsan Jaffri, in the Supreme Court.
The former BJP leader had also filed a submission before the Nanavati Shah commission probing the Godhra train carnage and the statewide communal riots that followed thereafter.
Bhatt said Saturday that he would present himself before the SIT.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy