Gujarat riots: SC declines to take Bhatt`s affidavit on record
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday declined to
take on record the affidavit filed by controversial IPS
officer Sanjiv Bhatt, who had accused Gujarat Chief Minister
Narendra Modi of having adopted an "anti-minority stance"
during the post-Godhra riots.
The court said the affidavit in which Bhatt claimed that
he had attended the February 27, 2002 meeting called by Modi,
would be considered only after it gets an independent analysis
of the report of the Special Investigating Team (SIT) by
senior advocate Raju Ramachandran, who is assisting it as
amicus curaie in the Gujarat case.
"So far we have not taken on record the affidavit by him,"
a special bench comprising justices DK Jain, P Sathasivam and
Aftab Alam said.
Senior advocate Ranjit Kumar, appearing for the Gujarat
Government, said Bhatt had raised concern over his security
which has now been take care of.
SIT Chairman RK Raghavan also told the court that
immediately on receiving letter from Bhatt about his security,
he had contacted the DGP, who responded and provided security
"I am satisfied," Raghavan said.
The SIT in its fresh status report has considered the
statement of the IPS officer.
Bhatt was summoned by the SIT in March on the directive of
the the Supreme Court, which had asked it to consider whether
further probe was required against Modi and 52 others in the
complaint filed by Zakia Jafri, widow of former Congress MP
Ehsan Jafri who was burnt to death at his Gulbarga Society
residence in Ahmedabad.
Bhatt, a 1988-batch IPS officer who was posted as DCP
at the State Intelligence Bureau (SIB) during the riots, had
filed an affidavit on April 14 alleging that Modi had
instructed officers during a meeting on February 27, 2002 to
allow Hindus `to vent out their anger` during the clashes and
he wanted Muslims to be "taught a lesson".
Bhatt is currently posted as the principal of the State
Reserve Police Training Centre in Junagadh.
The SIT has in its status report also mentioned about a
letter written by suspended Gujarat IAS official Pradeep
Sharma requesting to be allowed to depose on information
received from the CM`s office during the period.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy