Gujarat riots witness killed in attack
Ahmedabad: Nadeem Sayed, a witness in the 2002 post-Godhra riots, was killed here on Saturday morning, reports said. Sayed, a Congress worker, was stabbed to death by unidentified men in Ahmedabad’s Johapura area.
Doctors declared him brought dead when he was taken to the hospital.
Sayed was a witness in the Naroda Patiya riot case in which 95 people were killed on February 28, 2002 during the communal violence that erupted after the Godhra train burning incident.
The court where the trial in case was on had recorded Sayed`s statements a couple of months back.
Sources close to Sayed said he was also a police informer in some cases and his murder had some connection with the clash between slaughter house owners and police early this week where two policemen were injured and a police jeep was
torched by a mob.
Sayed, who was also a RTI activist, had raised many RTI queries on the Godhra riots and related incidents.
He had also filed several PILs in the Gujarat High Court over sanitation issues in the Johapura area. According to reports, he had also filed complaints against several political leaders.
Sayed had faced attacks earlier also.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- Longtime Google executive leaves Uber board of directors
- India, US sign military logistics agreement; can now use each other`s assets, bases
- Most doctors prefer partners from medical profession: Survey
- Bangladesh upholds death sentence for top Islamist
- US tries to stop feuding allies from unraveling Syria strategy